Long Term powermeter reviews.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Are the Campagnolo and Shimano 4 bolt patterns compatible?

I'd be shocked if they were but never researched it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cobrakai

by cobrakai

I don't remember exactly where I read it, I think it was on the slowtwitch forums, but a rep from power2max said they discontinued the shimano 4 bolt spider due to lack of demand. Kind of hard to believe but they still have lots of other good options.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

ergott wrote:Are the Campagnolo and Shimano 4 bolt patterns compatible?

I'd be shocked if they were but never researched it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looking at the numbers it looks like no, but haven't had an opportunity to try hands on.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

glam2deaf wrote:A bit off topic, but what happened to the Shimano 4 arm compatible P2M? I remember seeing it a while ago, but no sign of it online. Would like to change so Dura-Ace rings, and after such a good run with p2m I'm happy to stick with them.

I sent P2M Australia an email about the 4 arm Shimano compatibility, no response :(
BB

Coffee & carbon

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I have use stages powermeter about 2 years.

1) extreme temps (down to single digit F).
I don't ride this extreme temps, but stages states that their PM have auto-temp calibrating function.

2) wet weather (will go between road bike and fender/commute bike)
Some complain that water infiltrate into the circuit through battery cap
However, in my case, I rided several times in heavy rain and wet road after rain, but I don't have any problems.

3) reliability (fewest dropped data)
I have one or two spots where my PM and ANT+ sensors goes down.
I think it is not a problem of Stages PM.
Otherwise, I don't have dropped data problems, except when I forgot to change battery.

4) 24mm axle (I run BSA)
Just change your crank arm to stages'

5) ease of swap and left arm durability moving from bike to bike
If you have some tools for crank, swapping is easy and fast + durable.

I do love stages' PM.
They chip, reliable, and light.

Dalai

by Dalai

I have had a number of SRM's - both wired (1*SRM Pro, 1*Science Track, 1*FSA) and wireless (Dura ace 7800 on the TT bike and 7850 on the CX).

All were bought second hand and all have all worked flawlessly!

Only issues I've had over the years:

- Sending coil on the wired SRM Pro damaged on the return flight from the USA. SRM Oceania fixed for free whilst replacing the battery.
- Solder on 1 PCV failed from removing the cable too vigorously. Fixed locally.
- Chainring bolt hole cracked on the FSA road unit which was unrepairable. SRM offered a replacement wireless spider for a great price with no questions if I was the original owner, but I bought the 7800 for an even better price. :D

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I know @ergott you just pulled trigger on the p2max unit but...

I have just brought my 5th wireless SRM (all used) as well as owning a PC8, I have nothing bad to say about them. Yes, occasionally they need service but the guys I deal with here (SRM Oceania) are first class & always turn around units quickly so I'd recommend an SRM to anyone without question!

FWIW I have had both PT and Quarq in past with neither units giving me a single issue except battery replacements but I've had one mate who'd gone through 4 Quarq unit's in two years, so that prompted my move. He's now on a SRM. I have other mates using Pioneer, Stages (with varied success) & never seen a single p2max unit here in the wild!

ollisil

by ollisil

Anyone get any experiences how Power2Max works with rotor oval rings?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

ollisil wrote:Anyone get any experiences how Power2Max works with rotor oval rings?

No problems whatsoever, also with osymetric.

Apparently how it is measured doesn't need the slope to be altered.

Where you might have problems is with a classic type p2m, and an aero chainring. Either need to cut a hole on your ring, or remove the p2m from the crankarm to replace it.
Doesn't apply to s type..
Official cafe stop tester

Krackor

by Krackor

Had a little trouble with my P2M-S regarding the chainring bolt hole diameter. I was fitting Parts of Passion chainring bolts and the nut was a very tight fit and in some cases could not be inserted with hand force alone. I was able to eventually pull all the bolts through by removing the large chainring then pulling the nut through by threading the bolt and tightening against the spider.

I don't know if this is the fault of the P2M spider or the PoP bolts. Some of the bolts fit easier than others, and the difficult bolts remained difficult when inserted into a different spider hole (and the easy bolts remained easy after the swap), so it's probably the bolt's fault.

ergott

by ergott

Shakedown cruise later today! Installing the spider to the Force 22 crank is so easy.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

@luckypuncher as you own both the 3D+ and k-force p2m, which one do you prefer? I'm looking at a p2m for a Supersix.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

LeviR

by LeviR

ergott wrote:Shakedown cruise later today! Installing the spider to the Force 22 crank is so easy.

Congrats on the P2M purchase Eric! I use Rotor power 3D+ L/R.

KWalker

by KWalker

While I wasn't asked- I would go with the Rotor 3D+ in most cases if you plan on switching frames and keeping your PM. As long as its a 30mm spindle BB the PM can be fitted using various spacer combos except on some Treks. Makes it very versatile. Also, I like the way it adjusts preload a bit better and find it very easy to remove for traveling, dial in, and get on with life. That is, if your bike box requires crank removal.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Cheers kwalker. Well this is what I was thinking actually. But the k-force bb386 also works on multiple bb types too...! Trying to decide between either of these p2m options, a stages rival and rotor inpower.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com