SRM vs Quarq SISL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

njyeti

by njyeti

Hey, I just bought a 2016 Evo Black Inc (decided to replace my older Evo... http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136859 )

I train with power and was initially considering just using a Stages SI paired with my SISL2 crank but am sketched out on all the mixed feedback on Stages. I'm now comparing the Quarq Cannondale Spider https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1709/ and the SRM Cannondale Spider http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/cannondale/

I'm having difficulty comparing the two- beyond cost and replaceable battery going in Quarq's favor- any reason to go with the SRM? I've only had a Quarq Riken in the past- no complaints...but wondering if SRM would be worth it?

Thanks all

RyanH

by RyanH

Considering I have to send my SRM back right now after 3 months of use due to a most likely premature battery, here's my two cents at the moment:

1. I have a few climbs that I routinely do intervals on (100+ times up). Quarq and SRM read nearly identical (+/- 1% of each other).
  2. SRM + Garmin kind of sucks: it auto calibrates whenever coasting for 5s (can't turn that feature off) which can *potentially* lead to reading wrong. OTOH, every time I thought it was reading off, after stopping to calibrate I found the slope was nearly identical to the saved value so it might not be a real concern other than knowing that eats away at you when you're mashing up a climb full bore and your power numbers are reading what you think is low.
  3. SRM spider is heavier
  4. Quarq responded to my service email right away. 1 business day has elapsed so far and no word from SRM yet.
  5. My Quarq died after two years of service due to water getting into the strain guages.
  6. Quarq replaced my water damaged, out of warranty PM for $500 with a full warranty on the new spider. Two weeks door to door.
  7. Quarq has an accelerometer built in as well as auto temp sensing. SRM does not. In CA where you can start your ride at 60+* at the base of a mountain and end up at 32*, it can affect your readings not having the auto adjust.
  8. Did I mention that you can change the battery yourself without spending $100 and two weeks without your crank?
  9. Quarq blinks when its on. SRM doesn't.

In all honesty, if it was not for THM only being compatible with the SRM spider, I have no reason to choose SRM over Quarq. Quarq's product works as well, if not better in some regards and is helluvalot cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natefontaine

by natefontaine

FWIW Stages Si has been nearly flawless for the past two years. Excellent data collection. Coming from a wired cannondale srm, I can tell you that it is comparable to stages and is a great product. The SRM did have 0.5 sec data recording, but as im not a sprinter that was useless for me. I think you can also get the Stages on an SiSL2 arm.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Another option I'd suggest is the power 2 max. Had mine for the past 2 years with zero issues.

Hoven

by Hoven

Stages gen 2 or P2m!

njyeti

by njyeti

Thanks guys- SRM is now officially out of the running. RyanH- your detailed feedback is incredibly helpful - I really appreciate it (WW needs a 'like' button on posts).

I have to admit - I've considered Stages but am a bit sketched out due to divided feedback on it. Seems like half of the owners love it and the other half have had issues. The weight can't be beat though...

Is Gen 2 Stages significantly improved?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I got an SRM spider for my Hollowgrams last summer for $550 off Craigslist. It came with new Sram Force 11-speed rings too.

If you look hard enough, you can find just the spider pretty cheap.

Ezra

by Ezra

My teammate's da9000 srm does not get along well with his garmin. Constantly losing signal. My quarq elsa rs has never had issues and the current battery is going strong after 400 hours.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

My Gen 2 Stages on my MTB has been just as reliable as my SRM. It sees mode use, and nastier conditions as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

grid256

by grid256

Has anyone noticed both Quarq and SRM list the Cdale cranks as having a q factor of 141mm? Really narrow, and less than what is spec'd by Cannondale. Am I missing something? I'd like to get the spider myself but I'm scared off by a q factor that narrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com