Campagnolo 11sp chain tool on Shimano/SRAM 11sp chains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

My PRO chain tool just decided to die mid-install, so used my Campag 11sp chain tool to finish off the job (on a Dura Ace 9000 chain).

Is there any reason - that I'm not able to see - why I cannot simply keep using my Campag tool on Shimano/SRAM chains?

2old4this

by 2old4this

Campy tool's pin head is rather pointy, designed to wedge in the slit of the campy chain pin. I do not know how strong it is but I wonder if using it on Shimano pins can make that tip rather dull.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

As per the last post, I can't see any reason not to other than damage to what is quite an expensive tool. Campag supply replacement pins so the tool must be quite vulnerable to wear.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have every specialty chain tool campy has produced, including the dumb modified vice grip pliers for their 10speed Permalink system. Ive never had to replace the pin in any of the two successive chain tools they've brought out since. And though I mostly work on Campy chains I've used them on Shimano chains as well. So, I don't think they're too fragile.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

aarw

by aarw

it looks like a very nice chain tool, but having already bought a 10/11 speed chain tool do I really need the Campag chain tool for Campag chains??

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The 11sp campy chains need to be peened. I've heard Park makes a tool that will peen the chain but I haven't seen or used it. I'm sure if they do it would be much cheaper than the campy tool.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rmerka

by rmerka

I use a Pedro's Tutto chain tool which has a peening anvil. It works really nice, a solid tool that will last. You can use a KMC quick link if you don't want to mess with the chain pin.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Thanks for the Campag feedback guys, but...back to my question :lol:

Valbrona

by Valbrona

If the OP wants to peen the end of the pins, well then how would the Campag tool do that? As far as I can see the Campag tool is just for the assembly of the special Campagnolo joining links, so this means it is only good for pushing pins in and not peening.

If SRAM/Shimano pins require peening, well then he needs to use another tool or risk a broken chain.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

From your post it must mean you've never used the 11sp Campy chain tool. It peens the pin at the end of the process. And SRAM/Shimano pins don't get peened.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Tinea Pedis wrote:Thanks for the Campag feedback guys, but...back to my question :lol:

@Tinea, like I said in the 4th post above I have used the campy CN300 chain tool on Shimano chains as well. Haven't had a problem. I don't peen a Shimano chain pin however, I break it off as it's supposed to done. However, I do think the Shimano tool would be better for the Shimano chains because of the hollow pin. The campy tool might tend to expand the pin a bit while pushing through preventing it from going in as far as it might otherwise. Just theorizing here. Like I said, I haven't had a problem using the campy tool but I think the push pin in the Shimano tool kind of has a little guide for the hollow and is flat on the sides? I'm kind of a stickler for using the right tool for the job and now that I think about this a bit I will check just exactly how the campy chain tool pin interfaces with a Shimano chain tomorrow. I'm curious now.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Appreciate what you said - and was the same conclusion I'd come to myself. But

Calnago wrote:I'm kind of a stickler for using the right tool for the job

is why I ask. Not because I'm not happy to 'make do' when another tool can do the job. More so that if there's one major part of a bike I don't want to have fail on me (due to using the wrong tool) it's the chain!

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Calnago wrote:From your post it must mean you've never used the 11sp Campy chain tool. It peens the pin at the end of the process. And SRAM/Shimano pins don't get peened.

Never used the 11 tool, but I have the 10.

In the case of 10 speed, the pin in the special joining link has a lip at one end, while at the other end it is just extended so that it sits about 1mm proud of the outer plate of the joining link. No peening involved - just assembly of the pin in the joining link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, that's 10speed, not 11.