Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wuaname

by wuaname

Weight on the 2.1 vs 3.1? What do you think it actually weighs?

The question is stemming b/c I had a 2.1 for a couple of year. Now I am looking for a new bike and came across a 2014 Madone 3.1 for about $900 , and am trying to see if it's any lighter with the 300 series carbon than my prior 2.1. I know it's not much of a jump, but the price seems attractive for a 2014 3.1. It also has "upgraded" wheels but they are still Bontrangers, Race Lite.

I rode an Emonda S5 recentlly feel light for a carbon bike. Wondering how the 3.1 compares in weight to the aluminum 2.1 and the carbon S5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

3.1 is about the equivalent of the Emonda S. Take a look there for guidance. You won't find may people riding Madone 3's here, because you're paying a big weight penalty from the start.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Not sure about the weight difference, but I have been riding a 3 series madone frame for about 3 years and raced 1 season on it and it was plenty good enough. Had a 6700 groupset and Bontrager RL wheels, so decent enough kit. Weighed in at about 7.8kg with carbon seatpost + saddle and aluminium cockpit. It was a 60cm.

Recently have got a CAAD10 and I actually prefer the 3 series frame, mostly because I think the geometry suited me better.

The ride is very similar to the Emonda S5, very similar carbon just a slightly different mould. BB86 is nice too and its a metal insert so BB never gave me any issues.