Removing Graphics Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Hi

Can someone explain to me in the simplest terms how to remove graphics with acetone or similar.
I’ve seen it mentioned a lot on here and want to remove the white stripe from the rear of my Cannondale C1 Ultralight Seatpost which has a mat type finish and maybe the graphics from my Cannondale C2 stem which has more of a gloss finish.
Would it remove all the gloss if I tried to do the stem ?
Fortunately they’re not expensive to replace if it goes wrong so happy to try.
Where do you get acetone from ? Nail polish remover in the supermarket said acetone free, would it still work ?
Oh and while I’m at it does anybody know what size bolts would be in the stem so I can replace with Titanium ? and recommend a seatpost clamp that’s lighter and blacker ?

Thanks

Fiery

by Fiery

I've used acetone and a kitchen sponge to remove the stripe from a C1 seat post. I needed the rough side of the sponge to remove all traces from the matte surface. Don't worry about the gloss finish on the stem - it's anodized polished aluminium, acetone can't harm it. It will actually be easier to remove the graphics from the polished surface.

I bought the acetone in a hardware store, paint section. Acetone free nail polish remover should work as well, it is still a strong paint remover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

I'm looking to do this to the red text on a deda superleggero carbon seatpost.
Advisable?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

MikeyBE wrote:I'm looking to do this to the red text on a deda superleggero carbon seatpost.
Advisable?

Probably won't do anything. The parts above are alu, and the graphics are printed on the surface. Most carbon parts have graphics underneath either gloss or matte clearcoat, and acetone doesn't do anything. You need to sand the part, usually with 320-400 wet paper, then reclear with gloss or matte clear. The clear is for uv protection.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I used some very fine sandpaper (800 grit, I think) to remove the gloss finish and logos from an older K-Force seatpost I had. I did a wet sand on it. Once it was removed, I sprayed it with a satin clearcoat.

Of course, I ended up putting on one layer of clearcoat too many and had to sand it down again for it to fit in the frame - but I always had issues with that particular post being a bit wider than 27.2.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Eeesh. The perils of being a bike tart. I think I may find a post without red graphics for my build :D

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

Team Murray

by Team Murray

Drugstores sell the full range of nail polish removers. They make a pure acetone to remove the synthetic nails. The other option is to get a can from the hardware store. But that will be way more than you can ever use. Goo Gone should also work.

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Cheers guys, it was a doddle.
Stealthification of stem post and bars complete and wifes happy with a new bottle of nail polish remover :!:
May have a go at my Elite carbon cages next and rid them of the red and white.

pavel

by pavel

^which elite cages? I'm interested in the superleggero cages but am put off by the graphics a bit....

rms13

by rms13

glepore wrote:
MikeyBE wrote:I'm looking to do this to the red text on a deda superleggero carbon seatpost.
Advisable?

Probably won't do anything. The parts above are alu, and the graphics are printed on the surface. Most carbon parts have graphics underneath either gloss or matte clearcoat, and acetone doesn't do anything. You need to sand the part, usually with 320-400 wet paper, then reclear with gloss or matte clear. The clear is for uv protection.

I'm pretty sure using acetone on carbon is a bad idea.

I have done it on some aluminum stems. Just soaked a rag really good and rubbed the paint off in about a minute

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Advisable?

I took the graphics off of my Deda Superleggero RS seatpost with goof off and a shop rag.

http://www.goofoffproducts.com/

pavel

by pavel

FYI, I just removed the red superleggero script from my seatpost. I think that this is a later iteration than the original, because the superleggero logo is directly underneath the Deda logo (as opposed to vertically further down the post.)
In any case, removing the read was fairly easy with a bit of nail polish remover, but I've also discovered that on this version of the post the black DEDA decal is crap. Parts of it came off just from being masked off with electrical tape. Not a lot, but more than zero. If the electrical tape incident is any indication, my guess is that it will rub off pretty quickly if you put it in a stand, use a bag that wraps around the post, etc.

The good news is that you can purchase Dedacciai decals from ebay. I've ordered some to replace the ones on the post when they eventually wear off. You can search by "Dedacciai sticker" to find several versions. I bought from an italian seller as they look closest to the style of the post.

TimW

by TimW

rms13 wrote:
glepore wrote:
Advisable?

I'm pretty sure using acetone on carbon is a bad idea.

I have done it on some aluminum stems. Just soaked a rag really good and rubbed the paint off in about a minute

If you run tubs then acetone or white spirit is often how you get the glue off the rim.

pavel

by pavel

edit: wrong thread

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

pavel wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:39 am
FYI, I just removed the red superleggero script from my seatpost. I think that this is a later iteration than the original, because the superleggero logo is directly underneath the Deda logo (as opposed to vertically further down the post.)
In any case, removing the read was fairly easy with a bit of nail polish remover, but I've also discovered that on this version of the post the black DEDA decal is crap. Parts of it came off just from being masked off with electrical tape. Not a lot, but more than zero. If the electrical tape incident is any indication, my guess is that it will rub off pretty quickly if you put it in a stand, use a bag that wraps around the post, etc.

The good news is that you can purchase Dedacciai decals from ebay. I've ordered some to replace the ones on the post when they eventually wear off. You can search by "Dedacciai sticker" to find several versions. I bought from an italian seller as they look closest to the style of the post.
I just bought a DEDA Superleggero RS as well. Like to remove the red superleggero decal. Do I just tape off the DEDA decals and start sponging away with the acetone? Don't want to ruin te finish of the seatpost..