Campy Gearing Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Record EPS can't handle more than a 29 with a 34 inner. Mechanical Record seems to work with up to a 32 (although shifting is pretty crappy at that point).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Not always true.

I have EPS V2, running 52/36 with an 11-up cassette. Normally I use an 11-25 or 11-27 but recently went to the Italian Lakes so wanted "insurance". So I swapped the 36 for a 34 and the usual cassette for an 11-29. It worked fine but on the 17% average of il Muro di Sormano my legs & lungs still were lacking. Upon my return I tried a Shimano Ultegra 11-32. It worked perfectly as far as clearance was concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

ultimobici wrote:Not always true.

I have EPS V2, running 52/36 with an 11-up cassette. Normally I use an 11-25 or 11-27 but recently went to the Italian Lakes so wanted "insurance". So I swapped the 36 for a 34 and the usual cassette for an 11-29. It worked fine but on the 17% average of il Muro di Sormano my legs & lungs still were lacking. Upon my return I tried a Shimano Ultegra 11-32. It worked perfectly as far as clearance was concerned.

So you are able to use a 52/34 in conjunction with an 11-32 cassette on an EPS drivetrain without issues? If so, that's a wide range and well beyond Campy's parameters. Not that it's considered best pactice but I assume you're not able to cross chain (big/big) with this setup.

elSid

by elSid

audiojan wrote:Record EPS can't handle more than a 29 with a 34 inner. Mechanical Record seems to work with up to a 32 (although shifting is pretty crappy at that point).

Not true, at least in my case. I greatly dislike noisy drivetrains, and systems that have hesitant shifts in some (or all) gears, and would not use the campag SR+Ultegra 11-32 cassette combo if it didn't work very well. As has been noted in other discussions, a happy mixed-marriage drivetrain also depends on factors such as chainstay length and derailleur hanger. So, my success may be a lucky break. Good thing, because I am slow.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

audiophilitis wrote: So you are able to use a 52/34 in conjunction with an 11-32 cassette on an EPS drivetrain without issues? If so, that's a wide range and well beyond Campy's parameters. Not that it's considered best pactice but I assume you're not able to cross chain (big/big) with this setup.

No cross-chaining. But then I've been riding long enough to know that that is counterproductive anyway. 52 is fine with 3rd largest and 34 is OK with 4th from smallest.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've seen several thread where people ask if you can use big/big. Why? In my book you would never use big/big. Like ultimobici, big/3rd biggest is as much cross chain I will go.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's not your ideal gear to be in because of the extreme chainline it creates but you should still be able to access this combination. The chain has to be long enough and the derailleur needs to be able to clear the cogs as is being discussed. But if the chain is too short (making the big/big combo unattainable) then if you inadvertently go there even by accident, you will rip the derailleur apart, likely break the hanger and usually end up with it in the spokes and no end of unhappiness as the result. That's why it needs to be at least accessible, even if you never intend to use it.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

As the 52/34 11-29 is outside the normal operating parameters of SR EPS I wouldn't expect it to allow big/big, especially if I had a 32 sprocket.

Miller

by Miller

What Calnago sez though, you don't want to be in that unhappy place by accident. It's really asking for trouble to set up a big-big combo that will break the bike.