Campy Gearing Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joelpace

by joelpace

Does anyone know if Campy 11sp can handle a 30+ rear cog with a 50/34 chainset? I need a slightly larger bailout gear for France.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joelpace

by joelpace

Oh - and I know campy say 29 is the limit. I just want to know if this is a hard limit or if there's a workaround.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Buy one of these, stick it on, and find out.

http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes ... d-cassette

russianbear

by russianbear

With a compact in the front, you're probably cutting it close with the chainwrap. Big part of it depends on the dimensions of your derailleur hanger; you'll have to play with the p screw to make sure the upper jockey can clear the biggest cog.

mrgray

by mrgray

hi. i went to a 11-32 (SRAM XG-1190) with my 50-34. i stay out of big big but it works. and it is great. i did this on a standard short cage setup. i am looking to "formalise" it in the future with a medium cage and longer chain obviously but my experience is yes it works but do stay out of big big because it looks strained and likely is.

this issue has been discussed numerous times and it is only reasonable for me to point out that numerous knowledgeable posters are concerned that in doing so one might see a busted rd fall into wheel spokes and cause damage and/or one's injury/demise.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Rokkala

by Rokkala

I put an 11-32 EDCO cassette on when I went to the Alps last year, but I did also swap out my short cage Record for the Athena 11sp triple rear derailleur.

That worked well (avoiding big/big) and the upper jockey wheel cleared the largest sprocket, not sure if it would have done so using the short cage, but I didn't try that out. Probably slightly more noise from the drivetrain also.

edit: this was with 50/34 set-up.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Rokkala wrote:I put an 11-32 EDCO cassette on when I went to the Alps last year, but I did also swap out my short cage Record for the Athena 11sp triple rear derailleur. .

Using a triple Athena RD sounds a good idea. However, one would assume that this option is only possible in the case of version 1 11sp Record levers and not the more recent/Revolution ones.

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Valbrona wrote:Using a triple Athena RD sounds a good idea. However, one would assume that this option is only possible in the case of version 1 11sp Record levers and not the more recent/Revolution ones.

Yeah this is 2011-era Campag 11sp (Super Record actually). Out of interest, what's the issue with newer ergos and from what model year onwards?

c50jim

by c50jim

I wanted a 32 for a trip to the Pyrenees last year (29 was OK in the Alps the year before). I bought a Shimano freehub for my White Industries rear hub and an Athena derailleur just in case the 11-32 Ultegra cassette didn't work with my 2014 Chorus derailleur. Took the package to my mechanic. He put on the freehub and 11-32 with my Chorus derailleur and didn't like it. He just felt there wasn't enough room. So, on went the Athena without adding links to the chain. The bike worked well for 800 km in the Pyrenees. No shifting problems ever, although there was a noticeable clunk on some shifts. I switched to an 11-28 for a trip to eastern Italy in the fall and Maui in November. Everything worked well except my legs on the wall on the West Maui loop. The 32 is back on the bike for next month's trip to Maui and it will almost certainly stay there for our trip from Zurich to Corvara in the summer.

I hadn't heard about the IRD cassette until after I switched and would have tried that since it would allow me to use the Campy 12-29 on most trips. I've heard conflicting reports about IRD but it would have been easier to keep the Campy freehub so worth a try.

Now, if I could just find a good 12-32. As a senior citizen, I can live without an 11 even with compacts but the gear ratios on the Ultegra 11-32 are different most of the way up the cassette from all my other cassettes so I often feel like the gearing is just off a little from what I'd like.

joelpace

by joelpace

Thanks for the ideas....ill start working and experimenting.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Rokkala wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Using a triple Athena RD sounds a good idea. However, one would assume that this option is only possible in the case of version 1 11sp Record levers and not the more recent/Revolution ones.

Yeah this is 2011-era Campag 11sp (Super Record actually). Out of interest, what's the issue with newer ergos and from what model year onwards?

Record and SR use a different pull ratio from 2015, so newer Record/SR Ergo's will not work with an Athena RD. In other words, Campag rather inconveniently have two types of 11 speed system at the moment. Genius.

elSid

by elSid

My N=1 experience:

No problems using 2012 Campagnolo Super Record shifters with 2012 Super Record Derailleur and Ultegra 11-32 cassette (11 speed). Crankset is 2012 Campagnolo SR 50-34. Frame is a 56cm Colnago C50. Shifts as well as the 12-29 Campagnolo chorus cassette it replaced (I switched the freehub body on a powertap sl+ hub).

There is plenty of derailleur clearance in the 32t cog - again in my case (ymmv) - enough that, if I could find an 11-34 11-speed cassette, I'd use it.

I never use the big/big or small/small combos, so chain wrap has never been an issue.

Years ago, I bought an IRD 11-32 10 speed cassette to go on a bike with Campagnolo Record 10-speed. It shifted horribly. Maybe I got a bad cassette, and/or the 11-speed IRD cassettes are better, but I'm hesitant to try them again.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

It all depends on your frame, in particular the hanger length. So there is no point in using a triple mech.

All you need do is try a 11-32T cassette and see if the top jockey wheel clears the 32T sprocket comfortably. If it does, you're all set. If not, HTFU!

RussellS

by RussellS

elSid wrote:if I could find an 11-34 11-speed cassette, I'd use it.

Not 11-34, but SRAM claims to make an 11-36 in 11 speed with the 1170 and 1130 cassettes.

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products ... ette#specs
https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products ... ette#specs

elSid

by elSid

Yup, I've seen that 11-36 cassette. I just might buy one and try it out. If I do, I'll post the results here.

I'm planning a trip to the Swiss alps in June, and having the bailout gears is probably worth risking the cost of the cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com