NOX 28mm wide rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

109er

by 109er

I've recommended their mountain bike rims before to various customers to great effect. The build quality and durability are excellent while maintaining a decent weight. A good option I would reckon.

Now they have a road rim:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/07/nox-debuts-new-wide-rim-brake-s36r-carbon-clincher-for-road-cross/

If it's anything like their mountain bike rims, it will be a stellar choice. It's super wide tho.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

28mm is gonna be cutting it really close on a lot of road frames. 25mm is a close fit already on Tarmac, Evo, C59. But they are nice looking rims and fairly light for a wide clincher.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Damn! Those look like a great option. The closest major manufacturer option that i know of is the Bontrager Aeolus line which are 27mm outer and 19.5mm inner. The Nox are 28mm and 20.5mm. Both of these are significantly wider than Zipp's Firecrest or the even wider "Firestrike"

Great weight, and great price indeed. I think you'd need/want a cross frame to take full advantage of a rim like this, as you'd probably want to ride >30mm tires for max plush factor. But, for road use though I suppose a big 25mm or 28mm tire would provide a great ride too, could keep the pressures nice and low.

AZR3

by AZR3

I read the article on bikerumor also and was super excited until I realized my frame (2012 R3) probably can't handle that wide of a rim. Wish they had another version that was around 24/25mm

CBJ

by CBJ

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Damn! Those look like a great option. The closest major manufacturer option that i know of is the Bontrager Aeolus line which are 27mm outer and 19.5mm inner. The Nox are 28mm and 20.5mm. Both of these are significantly wider than Zipp's Firecrest or the even wider "Firestrike"

Great weight, and great price indeed. I think you'd need/want a cross frame to take full advantage of a rim like this, as you'd probably want to ride >30mm tires for max plush factor. But, for road use though I suppose a big 25mm or 28mm tire would provide a great ride too, could keep the pressures nice and low.

The Stans Avion is also 28mm but I think they only sell the as a wheelset at the moment.

spookyload

by spookyload

For those wondering, NOX uses Yishun for their source of rims. I was attempting to order a set of their offset carbon wheels for cx, but was told by Gavin it would be a four week wait as all of the production of the rim was headed to NOX as A36D rims until January. Oddly, Yishun has road 28mm rims on their website for 2016 now.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Isn't the Yishun 28mm rim asymmetric / off center?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For complete wheels, you also have Easton Aero 55 which is 28mm center - center over brake track and flare out a bit wider.

They are optimized for 22-23mm tires but ofcourse handles much wider tires.

(To sort this out, it's for aero gains, not talking plain fit of the tire.)

I use mine with Veloflex Carbon and i think they're lovely.

Avion is not made for rim brakes and yes, sold as complete wheelset only (atleast now).

Avion uses 24 spokes front and 28 rear (2 versions of hubs available(Neo/ Neo Ultimate).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spookyload

by spookyload

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Isn't the Yishun 28mm rim asymmetric / off center?

The WTD3C are the exact profile. A lot cheaper too.

zirinpio97

by zirinpio97

Tubeless ready or no ? ( I think second ).

AZR3

by AZR3

The "TLR" at the end of the rim name stands for Tubeless Ready

refthimos

by refthimos

spookyload wrote:The WTD3C are the exact profile. A lot cheaper too.

Are you sure these are the same rim?

Yishun shows the WTD3C as 33 mm tall with an inner width of 18.3 mm and a weight of 480 grams.

Nox shows the S36R as 36 mm tall with an inner width of 20.5 mm and weight of 410 grams.

So it would seem they are different rims.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

benhama

by benhama

Has anyone road tested these rims yet for some real world feedback?

Beaver

by Beaver

There seems to be a new model now: http://www.noxcomposites.com/falkor36r

I just ordered a set of NOX S36R. :( Have there been problems with the former rimshape?

Edit, asked NOX directly: Just too many problems with rim brake clearance, nothing wrong with the rim itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cpark

by cpark

Beaver wrote:There seems to be a new model now: http://www.noxcomposites.com/falkor36r

I just ordered a set of NOX S36R. :( Have there been problems with the former rimshape?

Edit, asked NOX directly: Just too many problems with rim brake clearance, nothing wrong with the rim itself.

How do you like the S36R rims so far?