Equivalent to Sapim CX Ray Spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

relanium

by relanium

Just in the process of having some 28 spoke wheels built using Dura Ace 9000 hubs and Open Pro Rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes, but the CX Rays retail price for a box of 20 spokes are £50, is there an alternative spoke which is just as good as the CX Rays in weight and strength. If I can I would like to get the weight below 1500g for the wheel set, and thats where I thought having them built up with Sapim CX Rays would do the job.

My local bike shop which is building the wheels said I would need 4 boxes of CX Rays to build the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cdtf

by cdtf

DT Aerolite

Pilar 1420

Svetty

by Svetty

As one Yorkshire resident to another, I like the idea of being canny with your brass - if you'd gone for 24 spokes in the front wheel you'd have saved £50 ;)

Seriously though, Sapim Lasers are fine if the shop is building them for you. I like to use bladed spokes as they make the build much easier but if someone else is doing the hard work then Lasers are the way to go if you want to save a few quid.

1415chris

by 1415chris

£2.5 per spoke? That is a rip off!
If you google you can find them up to £2, so instead of £200 you will pay about £110.
There is another option, going for cx look-alike cn424 spokes.
The same diamentions, a bit heavier, but much cheaper.

Miller

by Miller

Sapim Laser is the way to go, after all a CXray is simply a flattened Laser. Laser has the same amount of metal in it so the same weight for the same length (and same stiffness, or lack of, etc).

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I agree about the Lasers instead of the aero CX-Rays. Big savings. Another idea is to go with the essentially equivalent DT Revolutions (equivalent to Lasers, not aero). But for cheap Lasers you cannot do better than Bike Hub Store.
Robert

wojchiech

by wojchiech

If you're not in a rush look into CN aero424 spokes. They are equivalent to CX-rays weight and profile wise at a quarter of the cost. I've used them to build a couple wheels and they are solid spokes that build up easily. Look on ebay for the Taiwan-based seller good886, which is where I got mine. Communication is very good and he can make you a custom listing to the exact lengths and quantities you need for a build. They come in j-bend and straight pull and a couple colors. Only caveat is it takes a month or more from your order date to get them, but again if it's no rush then it's still worthwhile.

Mackers

by Mackers

Lasers are €0.69 nipple included at Bike24.de.

Revolutions are only €0,50 at rose.de.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sapim CX-ray or lasers even in 32H drilling and the Open Pro rim are a no no. The wheel will not be stiff not even close. While it will be ride able spoke breakages will happen sooner than if you build with sapim race or DT Swiss comps. Fine to use the thin spoke on the front but not on the rear with this rim.

I did an Open pro 32H/laser build once and never again. Every time I stressed relieved the wheel I put it out, the damm thing would not settle down. If I can knock the wheel out of true by grasping pairs of spokes with my hands just think what a rider could do pedalling out of the saddle and hitting holes, cornering e.t.c. It is going to be your wheel but I would refuse to build such a thing.

mattr

by mattr

I've done open pro 28fr and 32rr with dt revs *except* rear drive side, dt comps (maybe super comp?) in there.

Even used them for cross a couple of times in an emergency.
They've been good for 4 years so far. Haven't touched them.

spookyload

by spookyload

I have straight pull revolutions in one set of cx wheels and straight pull Lasers in the other. Both are fine both drive and non-drive side. I also don't understand why you would think CX-rays would be an issue in a 32 hole OP rim. I thought the OP rim was the holy grail of rims and lasted forever regardless, thus much better than any factory built wheel ever (sarcasm).

RussellS

by RussellS

rpenmanparker wrote:But for cheap Lasers you cannot do better than Bike Hub Store.

Is your goal to encourage the person to spend more money than he needs to? Dan's Comp sells Sapim spokes for less money. At Dan's Comp the Laser spoke is $0.85. At your store it is $0.90. Regular 14/15 Sapim Race spokes are $0.40 at Dan's Comp. They are $0.80 at your store. Sapim CX-Ray spokes are $1.75 at Dan's Comp. They are $2.80 at your store.

For spokes and nipples you cannot beat this place for price. They sell every length, just call.
https://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/gro ... pokes.html

Mackers

by Mackers

TS is in the UK though.
I will agree on Danscomp, great prices on spokes, and they include the nipples with the spokes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mattr you obviously are light/not hard on wheels or don't mind flexy wheels. If a customer came to me with that request I would decline and I declined such a request today. I just don't like building wheels that have flaws.

While the wheels may be fine for you they would not be fine for many. also the likely hood of spoke breakage before the rim wears out is fairly high. I prefer wheels where the spokes outlast the rim.

This is the reason why I think the Open Pro rim and lasers or Cx-rays is a no no. It will be fine for a while until fatigue sets in. It may take some time but it more than likely will happen before the rim wear out.

Also there are many better rims than the Open Pro. If I do built with one. 36H rear with sapim race spokes on a shimano hub is nice and stiff and will be long lived by any rider.

One way to think about this is if you can put the wheel out of true when stress relieving with your hands then the rider can when riding. If you lay a 32H open pro rimmed wheel on the hub axle on a block of wood the amount of side load needed to detension the NDS spokes is very low. Again easily done when riding. This lack of stiffness is the problem and accelerates the rate of fatigue.

you can tell I am not a fan but every wheel I build and ride myself is stiff, very stiff. Stiff wheels last longer you see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Lazer all the way. Not bladed but same weight as the cx for around a $1 each retail in the US vs $3 for the cx.