Colnago C60 carbon fiber origin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ATR went out of business some years ago, which was Colnago's source for carbon fiber in Italy. I did not know until reading this thread that ATR may be resurrecting themselves. Anyway, I know that after ATR went out of business Colnago then sourced their carbon fiber products from Toray Industries, Inc., a Japanese company with subsidiaries all over the world. I'm sure the products they produce are top notch, it is not a small company and they have their hands in many areas of development and production of not only carbon fiber composites, but other stuff as well. So, that much I know.
Where they actually manufacture the tubes and/or lugs to Colnago's specifications I don't know, but there's no reason to not believe, and every reason to assume, it's exactly as @canoas says... in China. It's neither here nor there to me. I think "assembled" may have been a poor choice of words, as it kind of implies assembling the tubes etc into frames. The C59 was definitely "assembled" in Italy, with tubes being cut, mitered, bonded to lugs etc., and final finishing of brazeons and fixtures done as they have for a long time. I suspect the C60 is being done in Italy as well.
I also foresee the day when not a single Colnago is made in Italy anymore, and all production will be moved (probably to the GIANT factory) in China. I would assume that GIANT already has a significant equity stake in the Colnago organization, whether it be via shares in a holding company or something else. But business is business. The Colnago name/brand has value for sure, and what happens to it down the road will be interesting to watch.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

iamoutside

by iamoutside

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:31 pm
ATR went out of business some years ago, which was Colnago's source for carbon fiber in Italy. I did not know until reading this thread that ATR may be resurrecting themselves. Anyway, I know that after ATR went out of business Colnago then sourced their carbon fiber products from Toray Industries, Inc., a Japanese company with subsidiaries all over the world. I'm sure the products they produce are top notch, it is not a small company and they have their hands in many areas of development and production of not only carbon fiber composites, but other stuff as well. So, that much I know.
Where they actually manufacture the tubes and/or lugs to Colnago's specifications I don't know, but there's no reason to not believe, and every reason to assume, it's exactly as @canoas says... in China. It's neither here nor there to me. I think "assembled" may have been a poor choice of words, as it kind of implies assembling the tubes etc into frames. The C59 was definitely "assembled" in Italy, with tubes being cut, mitered, bonded to lugs etc., and final finishing of brazeons and fixtures done as they have for a long time. I suspect the C60 is being done in Italy as well.
I also foresee the day when not a single Colnago is made in Italy anymore, and all production will be moved (probably to the GIANT factory) in China. I would assume that GIANT already has a significant equity stake in the Colnago organization, whether it be via shares in a holding company or something else. But business is business. The Colnago name/brand has value for sure, and what happens to it down the road will be interesting to watch.
Fast forward to 2020 https://www.thenational.ae/business/abu ... -1.1017031

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ringo

by Ringo

Gentlemen this whole thing is getting ridiculous.
Even if the carbon tubes were made in Italy, then people would ask if the carbon weave was imported or not.
And after that people would ask if the workers were Italian or imigrants.
And even they were true Italian, then people would ask about their hometown.. and as soon as you know it, people would ask them to do dna tests.
Guys, enjoy the bikes.
They are good because they are in the superbike league with the best carbon in the market.
Geometry, which really makes a difference, is by Colnago.
That’s enough!
I’m more confident to know that my C60 is made by Toray carbon! They are the top dog in the game, Period.
Back in the day, artists in Europe made great art by using exotic materials from all over the world!
Porcelain, ivory, diamonds, gold, silk, marble and so many other materials used to create unique works of art.
And they were proud of it!! It was something to brag about!

NOBODY asked, EVER, if the marble of Winged Victory (Nike) of Samothrace statue, was from Samothrace island or somewhere else!

Chill! Most of you don’t bother that your American iphone is made in China anyways!!

The only misleading I find about Colnago, is that he is hiding his bald head with his remain hair.
XXTi
C60

PSM

by PSM

canoas wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 pm
tabmaster wrote:
canoas wrote:Yes Colnago sources it's carbon from Japan - Toray. However, Toray tubes are now assembled in China.

I confirmed this with the head of Colnago in UK @recent Rouleur awards in London.

C59 - is Toray T800
C60 - is Toray T1000

both of the above are aerospace grade.
So, to confirm then: Colnago have their C60 tubes made in China?
Please don't say that phase "Made in China" :(

Lets just say high end carbon tubes and lugged by hand in Italy :)
Is Colnago made in Africa nowdays? ;)

wilwil

by wilwil

Ringo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm
Gentlemen this whole thing is getting ridiculous.
Even if the carbon tubes were made in Italy, then people would ask if the carbon weave was imported or not.
And after that people would ask if the workers were Italian or imigrants.
And even they were true Italian, then people would ask about their hometown.. and as soon as you know it, people would ask them to do dna tests.
Guys, enjoy the bikes.
They are good because they are in the superbike league with the best carbon in the market.
Geometry, which really makes a difference, is by Colnago.
That’s enough!
I’m more confident to know that my C60 is made by Toray carbon! They are the top dog in the game, Period.
Back in the day, artists in Europe made great art by using exotic materials from all over the world!
Porcelain, ivory, diamonds, gold, silk, marble and so many other materials used to create unique works of art.
And they were proud of it!! It was something to brag about!

NOBODY asked, EVER, if the marble of Winged Victory (Nike) of Samothrace statue, was from Samothrace island or somewhere else!

Chill! Most of you don’t bother that your American iphone is made in China anyways!!

The only misleading I find about Colnago, is that he is hiding his bald head with his remain hair.
That hair style is called a Bobby Charlton after a famous English footballer

fogman

by fogman

Do you mean like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.