Enve 2.0 Fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beatle

by beatle

The steering tube on my 2014 Cannondale Evo Hi Mod is cracked. So I need to replace the fork.

The LBS suggested an Enve fork as a replacement. Do you think that this would be a good replacement or would you suggest getting an oem. I am not concerned about aesthetics, but functionality.

Thanks.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I would be a great replacement. And they look awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i use one, it's excellent, i'm 77-79kg, my old fork used to understeer on hard/fast cornering, no problem at all with the enve 2.0

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Do you know if the Enve has the same length as the stock fork? Enve forks are 368mm. Much longer or shorter than that and you will feel a difference in how the front end handles as the change in length will effectively alter the head tube angle.

beatle

by beatle

BdaGhisallo wrote:Do you know if the Enve has the same length as the stock fork? Enve forks are 368mm. Much longer or shorter than that and you will feel a difference in how the front end handles as the change in length will effectively alter the head tube angle.

LBS said they could get the geometry right.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

There is no "we can get the geometry to work" either it is the same or it is not. Enve forks have a rake of 43 vs 45 for the evo fork. Ghisallo is right as well. You need to measure the axle to crown distance of your evo fork (couldn't find anything online after a quick search) and compare that to the 368mm of the enve fork.

I would just get another evo fork...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezra

by Ezra

I wrecked my 2014 evo nonhimod and replaced it with a 2.0 fork. The only difference is that the enve has 43mm of rake and the stock evo fork is 45mm. While the evo fork is supposed to make the bike more nimble and divey, I have noticed no difference in the handling.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Your fork should be under warranty. What happened to it?

beatle

by beatle

Hmmm, my fork was compromised during a crash.

Rick

by Rick

Fork dimensions can be changed and the bike will still "work". It all depends on how picky you are and what you like.
I've swapped forks on two bikes. I found that I liked the 43mm rake better than the 45mm rake. Length is another variable that changes the effective fork angle, but minor changes just change the handling without necessarily ruining it.

beatle

by beatle

hornedfrog wrote:There is no "we can get the geometry to work" either it is the same or it is not. Enve forks have a rake of 43 vs 45 for the evo fork. Ghisallo is right as well. You need to measure the axle to crown distance of your evo fork (couldn't find anything online after a quick search) and compare that to the 368mm of the enve fork.

I would just get another evo fork...

Ugh, so now I am wondering how different it would handle. This is my race bike.

beatle

by beatle

Ezra wrote:I wrecked my 2014 evo nonhimod and replaced it with a 2.0 fork. The only difference is that the enve has 43mm of rake and the stock evo fork is 45mm. While the evo fork is supposed to make the bike more nimble and divey, I have noticed no difference in the handling.

Thank you for that information. Do you notice any other differences, e.g. road buzz absorption, stiffness, etc?

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

You honestly, most likely, won't notice that much of a difference if the axle to crow distance is somewhat similar. Just wanted to point out that you can not make a fork of different geometry work to be the same geometry as another fork.

numberSix

by numberSix

"43mm" vs "45mm" is not Rake, it's Offset. this is how far forward the front axle is from the steerer tube centerline. dunno why bicycle world adopted this nomenclature when it conflicts with moto terminology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_a ... e_geometry

Rake is the same as Head Tube Angle, typically ~73*.

More Offset ===> Less Trail. Trail is more important than Rake IMO. Like all geo issues, there is a sweet-spot for Trail. I notice it the most as increased traction feedback at deeper lean angles.

Lastly, have you ever pressed down on the bars of your Evo and watched the fork? The amount of flex is disconcerting. But the road feel and cornering show it's important. So if you liked the bike before the fork was broken, what's the odds the Enve fork will be the same or better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Offset is synonymous with rake. Your link even proves that... [emoji15]