Campagnolo Athena EPS V1 Power Unit and Charger Issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nismosr

by nismosr

I have an Athena V1 Power Unit not fully charging, it did charge when I first got it, Interface turns green but it only lasted 1 half ride full 40 miles and after a week took it for another ride and battery died after 14miles. Charger is lit green, and the orange light keeps blinking and now it's not fully charging interface is just lit up to yellow instead of full green, what are the chance of maybe I have a bad charger and not the battery ? any suggestion ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

Bourquek

by Bourquek

nismosr wrote:I have an Athena V1 Power Unit not fully charging, it did charge when I first got it, Interface turns green but it only lasted 1 half ride full 40 miles and after a week took it for another ride and battery died after 14miles. Charger is lit green, and the orange light keeps blinking and now it's not fully charging interface is just lit up to yellow instead of full green, what are the chance of maybe I have a bad charger and not the battery ? any suggestion ?

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a warranty issue. Can your LBS troubleshoot it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Did you get that v1 Power Unit from Ribble by any chance? I bought my Athena EPS v1 parts there last week, at a vastly reduced price, and built it all up over the weekend. Had my first ride with it today, thought it was pretty amazing - that is, right until after 25 miles or so, just after climbing a hill, it decided to stop working entirely. Not a warning beep, PU LED not lit, nothing. As if the battery had suddenly gone dead. Limped home in lowest gear. Glad it didn't happen on a downhill stretch while in the big ring and on the 11t cog.

Back home I plug the charger back in and it starts doing its charging thing. However, the interface LED starts out green (as opposed to blinking red like during the first charge), implying the Power Unit is still at 60-100%. I unplug it again right away and try the shift levers, and the bloody thing shifts like nothing ever happened. Cue confused staring. Plugged back in and after 20 minutes or so the charger's orange light switches off, indicating it has finished charging.

Bit stumped now. Do I have a bad Power Unit? Or is something else wrong? The diagnostics section in the manual isn't of massive help seeing how it only lists cases where the PU LED indicates a problem. But the system is sitting there pretending all is fine. Just waiting for me to go for another ride, probably. I'm on to you, EPS ...
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing