saddle pack recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

@ Team Murray 100% right

Big fan of Ass Savers.

http://ass-savers.com/

Good cheap product that does what it designed to !!!

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snotrockets

by snotrockets

Inside Line Equipment seat bags are a best kept secret http://ilequipment.com/collections/all/products/seat-bag.
Get the XPAC ones.

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

I am the fellow WW who has purchased several custom saddle bags from Jordan (jordo99).

I liked how the Speedslev keeps things organized, but wanted something that kept the water out. Also, I wanted something really lightweight, right? So, going custom allowed me to significantly cut weight and increase function, all at a very reasonable price.

I have ordered different versions for road, mtb (26), and mtb (29) since the tubes are all significantly different sizes. The road versions are being done in cuben fiber and the mtb versions are being done in xply sailcloth (materials I was familiar with from lightweight backpacking and pefect for this application).

Also, while I always try and pare weight down as much as I can on my bikes, I carry a few more items with me than most (like a spare link, chain breaker, micro pump) so I don't have to rely on someone else to come get me if I have a mechanical issue. I have been on too many rides when the day would have been over for friends (or me) if I hadn't been able to repair a chain or have a pump when their CO2 cartridge failed or ran out after multiple flats.

Jordan has been great to work with as we bounced ideas off of each other on designs and has been very prompt in getting the packs made. I wholeheartedly endorse contacting him if you are interested in getting a custom saddle pack made.

hmai18

by hmai18

Some images would help...

ipaul

by ipaul

hornedfrog wrote:
Hmm interesting. I say this in the nicest way possible, but maybe you need to reassess your folding technique? A Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 23mm fits in snugly with plenty of room to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well look at that, it can be done. Hmm, I've folded the tire many different ways and it wasn't happening. Wonder if the one I tried was a dud. Since returned it.

Thanks for the photo.
:P

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I saw recent Castelli's bag. It seems good in design, functional and look

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Caution: you may have to avert your gaze, but as I mentioned in a prior post, while I always try and pare weight down as much as I can on my bikes, I carry a few more items with me in my saddle pack than most so I don't have to rely on someone else to come get me if I (or a fellow rider) have a mechanical issue.

I just received my two new saddle pack versions from Jordan: cuben fiber (road) and X-ply (mtb 29er). Attached are photos of the packs rolled up, unrolled, and with contents shown. I know it's sacrilege, but I don't have a scale to weigh them. Once I have a scale shot, I will post another image.

While the weight of the contents adds up, the saddle packs themselves weigh far less than the pack I was previously using and less than anything else I have seen on the market. I know some people just use a ziploc bag and their jersey pocket instead of a saddle pack, but I wanted something that I could leave attached to the bike as I prefer to use my jersey pockets for a cell phone, food, and a place to stash extra layers of clothing.
SaddlePack1.JPG
SaddlePack2.JPG
SaddlePack3.JPG

eric

by eric

Specialized makes some good bags that don't eat my shorts.

sychen

by sychen

I'm waiting for the specialized underseat storage to bolt under my power saddle.. High enough to stay out of the way of my rear light /camera

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

F45

by F45

I'm still rockin' a Bontrager Draftpack. Works ok. I like that it's super easy to put on and take off.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Arundel Uno or Tubi and a Lezyne frame mount mini pump, dependant on which wheels I'm using,
Pump is lighter than inflators and 1 canister and can pump many tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Finally got the requisite scale pics of my new saddle packs:

30g for the X-Ply version
Saddle Bag XPly.JPG

18g for the Cuben Fiber version
Saddle Bag Cuben.JPG

Marin

by Marin

Nice! Do you have pics of them attached to the saddle?

I don't really understand how they are mounted

Piotrini

by Piotrini

I'm using a saddle roll from bigxtop (http://www.bigxtop.com/collections/fron ... addle-roll), works great, holds a tube, multitool, levers, patches and some latex gloves easily. I got one in camo, it looks way better than those hideous saddlebags that spoil that clean bike look which is actually the best part about it :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

I have experimented with several saddle bags and have found the Rapha seat pack to look the best (functionality is a whole different story). To be honest i could only tolerate the thing for a fortnight before reverting to jersey pockets. IMO it's best to avoid crap hanging off your bike where possible