Rubber worms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Yes, rubber worms :mrgreen:

I'm rebuilding my winter bike and am looking for a supply of rubber worms to seal the innercables from dirt & stuff.

Something like the Sram grub seal. Does anyone know another supplier or if they sell them as pieces instead of a complete cable set?

Ride it like you stole it

wojchiech

by wojchiech

they're usually called brake boots as they cover the metal brake noodle on linear pull brakes like in your picture

you can get them almost anywhere online (ebay/amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Brake-Rub ... B003U658EY). but if you're close to a bike shop they'd probably give you one or two gratis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've been trying to find a supply of these things as well, but I want the ones shown in the @Tomstr's post, flexible with a tight fit at both ends (the ones in the picture look like one end has quite a large opening for the metal brake noodle. The ones in @tomstr's picture are the same kind that come with Campy cables now (only one). I find them great for the when I run some heavier Teflon tubing under the bottom bracket and part way up toward the front derailleur. These things really seal it up and keep water and crud from entering at the top. But damn if I've been able to source any like that in separate bunches.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rmerka

by rmerka

Yep, I would love to have a few of the Campy ones (comes stuck on a ferrule tube). They are the best quality I've seen. The one that comes with the Jagwire kit is good too but the not quite as nice.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Jagwire make two different types, both called Dirt Guard

25mm long that fits 4 or 4.5mm Nosed End Caps
CCG004QBG Black
CCG004QGG Silver

Also available with the end cap / ferrule

For 4mm Housing
CM261BJ Black Alloy End Cap / Black Dirt Guard
CM261OJ Gold / Black
CM261RJ Red / Black
CM261SJ Silver / Silver
CM261UJ Blue / Black
CM261EJ Green / Black
CM261NJ Tango / Black

For 4.5mm Housing
CM262BJ Black Alloy End Cap / Black Dirt Guard
CM262OJ Gold / Black
CM262RJ Red / Black
CM262SJ Silver / Silver
CM262UJ Blue / Black
CM262EJ Green / Black
CM262NJ Tango / Black

13mm long that fits 4 or 4.5mm Nosed End Caps
CCG014B Black
CCG014R Red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Thanks for the replies guys.

Indeed I'm looking for something like the one in the photo. The typical V-brake worm is nice for roadbrakes too but I'd like a solution for use near derrailleurs.

Thanks to 585's suggestion I found this. Does someone have access to the Campa OEM book? Showing up at your LBS with an order number might work. :)
Ride it like you stole it