Giant Propel Adv Pro vs Cannondale Supersix frameset weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Does anybody weigh the giant propel advanced pro frameset? How does it compare to the non-himod cannondale supersix? I have a crush on these two frames. I guess the giant weighs 1-200 gramms more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Stay away from the Propel. I had it for a year and did 8.500 km on it. It rides nicely and feels fast, but the brakes are a serious headache. The adjusting is ongoing work, and takes a long time before they are dialed in. And every time you change wheels, brakepads or brakecable it's back to square one.

Besides that, if you ride wide wheels, the brakes aren't aero at all, since they get wider than the frame. Makes the hole aero concept needless.

The Evo on the other hand is the perfect bike. I replaced my Propel with a HiMod Evo, and it rides just fantastic. Feels stiff and fast but still compliant. The Propel is a bit more harsh and doesn't feel as stiff as the Evo. The Evo is just a no BS bike that get's the job done. Not a lot of bling about the Evo, but it's a fast machine. Apparently they didn't change anything about the Evo design appart from the paintoptions through the years (not the 2016 version). But even the 2016 version is almost the same design according to reviews except it's a bit more aero and supposedly more stiff (don't know how stiffer is possible or even necessary, but let's see).

sharkman

by sharkman

The evo is more a competitor for the tcr. I had both and prefer the tcr (isp) since i rate good bb stiness and the giant is better at that point (but both are great framesets)
Propel is better than borh on the flat and simply feels faster
The brakes are great and the setup a breeze for the 2015 version
Where giant beats cannondale hands down is quality control and guaratee/support.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Interesting! Two completely different opinion on the brakes.
I know that it's very hard to compare these bikes, because they are so different. But I'm still curious about the weight of the propel advanced pro frameset. It costs much more than the non hi-mod evo. I can get an evo *bike* for $1,800 and the propel frameset costs $2,350, so I thought they might be close in weight. Then, I might think about the aero benefits of the propel for the extra.

My only problem with the TCR that I don't like how it looks. I know-I know.

Multebear

by Multebear

sharkman wrote:
The brakes are great and the setup a breeze for the 2015 version

What kind of wheels did you ride it with?

joepac

by joepac

Ride them both... I was able to get an equivalent Tarmac sl4 pro or Supersix Evo for the same price and decided I liked the tarmac better (despite *wanting* to like the Supersix more, it's lighter!)... The handling on the Supersix just doesn't feel as responsive and I didn't feel "connected" to the road. Everything just felt dampened on the Supersix, especially during sprints, it felt like I was sprinting on a mushy wooden bike. The tarmac was much more responsive to steering input (some might call it "twitchy"), I felt connected to the road, and was super stiff. I ended up with a Venge (the previous model) because they were sold out of tarmacs in the model I wanted in my size and it handles and sprints nearly identically. I could not be happier, I just love the feel of the bike. Another thing to consider is your tolerance of discomfort, for instance the aero seat post on my Venge definitely makes my bike pretty stiff/sore on really long rides (probably because Ohio roads are so torn up).

I have not ridden a Propel, but I would suggest riding both bikes to see if you like the way one rides better. For me the difference in bike feel between Specialized and Cannondale was more important than grams saved. If you don't notice a difference also remember that the aero seatpost on the Propel is unlikely to be as comfortable, which will be noticeable on longer, bumpier rides. Finally, take into consideration what time of rider you are... Are you a climber who wants a really light bike to float up the hills or a sprinter or breakaway guy who wants an aero advantage? The nice things about both bikes is that either can do it all. The Propel adv frame will probably be ~300g heavier, it is only the SL frame with ISP that is super light.

Exar

by Exar

My Propel Advanced (as referenced here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134732) came in at 1019 gram for a size ML, this weight includes the rear mech hanger but not much else (no headset, no front hanger, etc). Fork was 420 grams and seat post was 261 gram, I'd guess both are significantly lighter on a SuperSix.
Chains to the right!

sharkman

by sharkman

What kind of wheels did you ride it with?

Enve 4.5 ses and giant P-Slr0 aero

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

They redesigned the brakes since the original release so many of the issues are no longer existent

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Exar wrote:My Propel Advanced (as referenced here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134732) came in at 1019 gram for a size ML, this weight includes the rear mech hanger but not much else (no headset, no front hanger, etc). Fork was 420 grams and seat post was 261 gram, I'd guess both are significantly lighter on a SuperSix.

Thanks! That's not bad at all! But yeah, I think in my size I'd look at around 300g extra in the case of the giant. I think I won't go down that road. Just for the looks.

joepac wrote:Ride them both... I was able to get an equivalent Tarmac sl4 pro or Supersix Evo for the same price and decided I liked the tarmac better (despite *wanting* to like the Supersix more, it's lighter!)... The handling on the Supersix just doesn't feel as responsive and I didn't feel "connected" to the road. Everything just felt dampened on the Supersix, especially during sprints, it felt like I was sprinting on a mushy wooden bike. The tarmac was much more responsive to steering input (some might call it "twitchy"), I felt connected to the road, and was super stiff. I ended up with a Venge (the previous model) because they were sold out of tarmacs in the model I wanted in my size and it handles and sprints nearly identically. I could not be happier, I just love the feel of the bike. Another thing to consider is your tolerance of discomfort, for instance the aero seat post on my Venge definitely makes my bike pretty stiff/sore on really long rides (probably because Ohio roads are so torn up).

I have not ridden a Propel, but I would suggest riding both bikes to see if you like the way one rides better. For me the difference in bike feel between Specialized and Cannondale was more important than grams saved. If you don't notice a difference also remember that the aero seatpost on the Propel is unlikely to be as comfortable, which will be noticeable on longer, bumpier rides. Finally, take into consideration what time of rider you are... Are you a climber who wants a really light bike to float up the hills or a sprinter or breakaway guy who wants an aero advantage? The nice things about both bikes is that either can do it all. The Propel adv frame will probably be ~300g heavier, it is only the SL frame with ISP that is super light.

Well, my problem is that I'm a short guy and specialized doesn't fit me well. I prefer longer stems and the smallest tarmac has a 380mm+ reach, so I'd have to use a 90-100mm stem. I have a caad10 and I love it, so I think it's logical to give the supersix a try. I don't really care about comfort or aero. My main concerns are look, weight and fit.

Based on the weight, I think I'll test ride the supersix.

RussellS

by RussellS

nemeseri wrote:I don't really care about comfort or aero. My main concerns are look, weight and fit.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

nemeseri wrote:I prefer longer stems and the smallest tarmac has a 380mm+ reach, so I'd have to use a 90-100mm stem.

This is going off topic but I'm curious to hear your reasoning. I like the handling of 90-100mm and thought the only reason people use longer stems is so they can have the height of a small frame but still get the correct reach. What is your preferred stem length?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Lelandjt wrote:
nemeseri wrote:I prefer longer stems and the smallest tarmac has a 380mm+ reach, so I'd have to use a 90-100mm stem.

This is going off topic but I'm curious to hear your reasoning. I like the handling of 90-100mm and thought the only reason people use longer stems is so they can have the height of a small frame but still get the correct reach. What is your preferred stem length?

Based on my experience 90mm is ok, but makes handling a little bit twitchy. I used to have a slightly big bike with a 80mm stem and since then I try to avoid bikes with too long reach. For me the ideal stem length is at least 100mm, but I prefer 110mm (current stem on my caad). It makes the handling of the bike much more relaxed (and better). Also I feel like that in the drops the weight distribution is better between the front and rear wheels. YMMV.

wingguy

by wingguy

nemeseri wrote:
Exar wrote:My Propel Advanced (as referenced here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134732) came in at 1019 gram for a size ML, this weight includes the rear mech hanger but not much else (no headset, no front hanger, etc). Fork was 420 grams and seat post was 261 gram, I'd guess both are significantly lighter on a SuperSix.

Thanks! That's not bad at all! But yeah, I think in my size I'd look at around 300g extra in the case of the giant. I think I won't go down that road. Just for the looks.

Given the other bikes you're considering you really, really want to look at the new Giant TCR instead of the Propel.

I ride an Evo HiMod and it's a great bike, but the new TCR is probably the most impressive bike I've seen so far this year - before you even mention the insane spec for price that you get at the Adv Pro level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jackc

by jackc

As a 2014 Evo owner, every time i pass by the local Giant store i will say this to myself "damn, i should've bought the Propel instead! It's just so sexy!" and also during the winter clearance time the 105 build is just so cheap.....

I'm just a recreational cyclist and cycle up the local HC/cat 1 climb once a week during spring and summer time. I have to say that EVO is really a great bike and it is the reason that keep me riding.