BB advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

plook

by plook

Hello, new here, first post.

I'm building my dream bike using a custom carbon frame that has a 85.5 x 46mm bottom bracket shell. I have a Campag Super Record 2015 Ultra Torque crankset to use but i am having some difficulties with choosing the right bottom bracket. The BB shell is suitable for press fit 46mm cups, but i am wondering if i can get some sort of sleeve which would allow me to use a threaded BB like this one

http://www.wishbonetw.com/pro_3.asp?cate=126&id=313
(is it ok to post links?)

Is there a better solution? I'm a complete novice with these sorts of bottom brackets, so i'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

why not use the campy cups?

if it was PF30 I'd probably be suggesting differently, but since this is BB386 and the cups are within the shell IMO they should be fine.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

plook

by plook

That might be the best advice. I do have them on order but i have been reading bad things about press fit and wondered if i could take the threaded route with a bonded in shim. I might be making it more complicate than it needs to be.

rmerka

by rmerka

If they don't work out the other option are cups made by Parlee which go deeper into the shell and BBinfinite. They Campy cups will likely work out but some have had them walk out of the shell over time which is likely due to the shortness of the cups combined with a slight misalignment.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Parlee don't appear to offer BB386 cups which is what OP needs.

They offer PF30 cups since there were lots of complaints about Campy's PF30 cups. Praxis have since made the pressed-in cup solution for PF30 pretty irrelevant.

I still think it's best to start with the Campy solution for BB386.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

plook wrote:Hello, new here, first post.

I'm building my dream bike using a custom carbon frame that has a 85.5 x 46mm bottom bracket shell. I have a Campag Super Record 2015 Ultra Torque crankset to use but i am having some difficulties with choosing the right bottom bracket. The BB shell is suitable for press fit 46mm cups, but i am wondering if i can get some sort of sleeve which would allow me to use a threaded BB like this one

http://www.wishbonetw.com/pro_3.asp?cate=126&id=313
(is it ok to post links?)

Is there a better solution? I'm a complete novice with these sorts of bottom brackets, so i'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Why would you get a custom frame with a PF BB if you've known how poor pressfit is and want to use a standard threaded bb? :noidea:

Plus, adding an external bearing threaded BB to BB386 shell would set the Q-Factor about +/- 18 mm too wide.

Miller

by Miller

The Campag BB386 cups are fine, I do wonder if they made them a bit deeper at some point. I installed a pair of them about 10 months ago and they are just fine. Use a bit of Loctite if you're worried.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com