Sagan's Venge Vias with some interesting additions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mile2424

by mile2424

Check out the cable ports on the downtube and for the brake on the fork...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Looks like a way to cable the bike so as to be functional without having to commit to cutting the steerer/settling on the fit. Probably a godsend for shops, I just wonder if we'll see this as a running change to their molds show up soon :thumbup:

deek

by deek

Could it be for a cheaper version that doesn't include the handlebars?

Edit: It looks like there are cable ports on both sides of the downtube so that seems like it'd be for gear cables and the rear brake. Definitely seems like it's a way to use a cheaper handlebar/stem.

tinozee

by tinozee

The frontal area of that frame/fork is so odd looking, it reminds me of a hammerhead shark or some other awkward sea creature. I do like it if it performs well though. Looks ideal for a breakaway on flat course for Tony Martin.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

a friend from SPZ said that this will be the 2017 model which they sacrified a lil bit of aerodinamic advantage in favor of ease of assembly/maintenance

mile2424

by mile2424

very interesting if true. I guess we will find out more soon!

RussellS

by RussellS

Looks to me like the team took a stock frame from the factory (with the Venge I assume everyone has to start with the stock frame as it comes out of the mold due to the high cost and complexity of making it. then customize it however the team wants) and then customized the cable routing to make it all very internal. Maybe inside the fork steerer. But the goofy part is why the team left the holes in the downtube and fork open? Why not cover or fill them? Probably not much aero advantage but if nothing else it looks better without unfilled, unused holes in your frame. I guess they are not professional.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Its a pitot tube. ;)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

^ ok, that's funny right there. :thumbup:

wingguy

by wingguy

RussellS wrote:Looks to me like the team took a stock frame from the factory (with the Venge I assume everyone has to start with the stock frame as it comes out of the mold due to the high cost and complexity of making it. then customize it however the team wants) and then customized the cable routing to make it all very internal. Maybe inside the fork steerer.

Um, no, you've got that backwards. The stock, consumer Venge ViAS is designed with fully internal cable routing through the bar, stem and steerer.

The odd thing about it is that it has any external cable ports at all, because normally they don't. Compare to Cav's from last year:

mile2424

by mile2424

Here's my early prediction, since it's known that the Vias tested faster than the actual Shiv TT, these ports were put in to run aerobars in some of the early season TT's before a new Shiv TT redesign comes out.

deek

by deek

Kittel's Vias also has the same holes. I wonder if this could also be because of the FSA sponsorship. FSA is still the component sponsor for both Tinkoff and Etixx, correct? At least with the Vias, they can't run their stem or handlebars. Maybe FSA is paying them enough to ditch the integrated Specialized bar/stem.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

......deek may be on to something.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well... FSA doesn't make frames, so if they're sponsoring a team, you can bet they want the components they do manufacture to be featured. And I'm sure it would make the mechanics very happy as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Raineman

by Raineman

wingguy wrote:Image

I wonder if they've made other changes to the frame, notice the "hop" around the back of the brakes on Sagan's newer bike vs Cav's TdF one. Tire clearance on the frame appears tighter too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com