Storck Absolute or Giant Propel?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joec

by joec

Hi Folks,

Ive been looking at Giant Propels for a while, with the intention of getting one and swapping my groupset and wheels into it ( Sram Force 10 speed with a Quark Riken & Older Zipp404 tubs) and sell off the bits i dont use from the Propel,

However Ive just been offered a Storck Absolute for a good price with campag chorus 22 groupset and Mavic Ksyrium elites, it rides really nice and is very stiff (good as I'm 190lb) but its not going to be as aero as the Propel, (a consideration as I would want to use it for occasional TT's)

not sure what to do, but considering buying the storck to flog it on for a profit and get the Propel.

Thoughts on the 2 bikes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

As a former Storck owner, get the Propel. The used bike market is quite soft at the moment.

bungis

by bungis

I'd go with the Storck, assuming it's a really good deal compared to a new Propel.

Reasons (as a Propel owner):
1. The frames themselves don't make much of a difference in terms of aero, the savings will more than make up for it with better aero gear (skin suit, wheels, helmet, etc.)
2. The proprietary Propel brakes perform badly and and are a pain to maintain.
3. Can't fit 25mm tires on the Propel due to frame clearance (will tuck against the seat tube).

That being said, the Propel is in ok bike (probably one of the most aero frames if it's tested with a full rider and bottles) and the 50mm Giant wheels are decently aero.

sharkman

by sharkman

1. The frames themselves don't make much of a difference in terms of aero, the savings will more than make up for it with better aero gear (skin suit, wheels, helmet, etc.)
2. The proprietary Propel brakes perform badly and and are a pain to maintain.
3. Can't fit 25mm tires on the Propel due to frame clearance (will tuck against the seat tube).

The last two only count for early owners. the 2015 brakes are perfect and easy to maintain, I ride 25 mm tires and there is 5 mm space between the tyre and the seat tube (unles your riding conti 25 mm which is more like 28 mm).
The only reason for me not to pick the propel over the Stock is it's a non ISP, Somehow a Propel without ISP is a way less attractive bike.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Instinctively I say Propel because they look so damn sexy. But a lot of hubbards riding around on them now, and the appeal has been tarnished somewhat. Go for the more unique I reckon.

lannes

by lannes

bungis wrote:I'd go with the Storck, assuming it's a really good deal compared to a new Propel.

That being said, the Propel is in ok bike (probably one of the most aero frames if it's tested with a full rider and bottles) and the 50mm Giant wheels are decently aero.

I've been able to fit Challenge Criterieum 25mm tubular on Reynolds Aero 46 (26mm wide rim) and Vittoria Corsa CX 25mm tubular with Reynolds Aero 58 rims (26mm wide rim) with no problems on the Propel
There is easily enough clearance for the front and back.

Grill

by Grill

Propel on Aeros... nice!

joec

by joec

thanks Guys, some excelent points raised. certainly some food for thought.

I knew of the TRP/Fouriers 23/25mm fitment issue, and would be running corsa 25mm tubs so the pics above are much appriciated.

I hadnt considdered the ISP, I was looking at the non ISP varients, but your right the ISP version does look much better.

jeffy

by jeffy

depending on your size there are deep discounts on Propel framesets on Mantel.com

if they ship outside EU remove ~20% vat
Last edited by jeffy on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

lannes

by lannes

I went the isp frame

joec

by joec

that it damn fine!

ianeire

by ianeire

I've never ridden a Propel but I sure do love my Absolutist.

Have many a mile clocked racing on it and its an absolutely fantastic rig in my opinion. If I was to mark it down for anything its that it's a little harsh over rough surface, which might not be an issue depending where you live. I have it coming up on three years and will hang on to it for a few yet.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="lannes"]I went the isp frame

[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/lannes2007/_MG_7128_zpsmtfxp44o.jpg[/img][/quote]

Gorgeous Propel yowsa !!
My really fast midget Giant Propel Advanced SL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132773&hilit=advanced+sl+propel

superdx

by superdx

lannes wrote:I went the isp frame

damn that's one sexy bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'd opt for the Propel.

Storcks are prone to BB cracks (had two) and their customer service is virtually non-existant.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.