With which accessories do you measure your bike weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Epic5253

by Epic5253

Hi guys, I was wondering with which accessories you weigh your bike.
Do you weigh it "ride ready" with an empty water bottle/s & Garmin fitted or do you strip it down to the skin, no cages, brackets etc.

This is the Official UCI Rule:
ARTICLE 1.3.019
“The weight of the bicycle cannot be less than 6.8 kilograms.”
The minimum weight of the bicycle (in working order) is 6.800 kg, considered without on-board accessories in place, that is to say those items that may be removed during the event. The bottles,
on-board computers and GPS systems must be removed during the weight check. However, the bottle cages, fixture systems and clipped-on extensions are part of the bicycle and stay in place during the weighing.
Cervelo P3C 7.31kg (UCI)

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

For bragging rights on WW, weigh with everything possible removed.

For reality's sake, weigh it standing on a scale, fully dressed to ride, while holding the loaded bike.

In the first example, my weight comes in under 16 pounds.

In the second example, the weight comes in 255 pounds. Guess which is a more useful predictor of performance. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ill principe

by ill principe

Ready to ride as is (but no bottles and Garmin). So bottle cages and Garmin mount should be included.

Same as UCI-rules then...
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I am a confirmed believer in weighing and comparing bicycles in "showroom" or "catalog" condition. Everything completely assembled and ready to ride with the exception of pedals, bottle cages and bottles, and computer stuff. No, that is not how one rides the bike, but it is the method that best allows us to compare bicycles, because that condition is basic to all bikes.

If you pull up next to a guy on the road, and during some chit chat he says my bike weighs 7.0 kg as you see it now, exactly how would that help you to know what that bike would weigh if it belonged to you with different pedals, bottles/cages, and computer. It wouldn't.

But if he tells you that the showroom weight of the bike is 6.0 kg and you know exactly how much your add on "kit" of stuff weighs, then you can easily sum the two numbers up and know what that bike would weigh if it were underneath you. For me that is the whole point of the question.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it: weigh up all your add-on stuff, your pedals, your bottles and cages, and your computer and mount. Also you tool bag if you must, but I think that is overkill. But anyway then when you see a bike weight in a review or in a store or online, you can easily compare it to others for which you have the same information AND immediately know what it would weigh with you riding it.
Last edited by rpenmanparker on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

austke

by austke

Ready to ride, with all Hardware. And accessories.
Same as UCI.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I imagine most people (especially online) are talking about their bike's weight based very much like the UCI.... rideable (including pedals) but empty of bidons, computer, etc.

Probably the only real variable when people discuss the weight of their bike is whether they are including pedal weight or not. If not including, they should say so.

When I hear someone say "my bike weighs xxx, without pedals", I think...."mine weighs zero without pedals, because without pedals, I'm leaving it home".

austke

by austke

+1 ^
One just has to have a Look in the Introduce Yourself Section. For best practice on WW.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Pedals, cages and garmin mount.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epic5253

by Epic5253

interesting concept about the pedals.... never thought of that.
From the above i make the assumption there are 2 different weight categories: Showroom & UCI weight.
Ride ready have too many variables for gear being added.
My weight is for example 6.96kg (UCI) or 6.77kg (Showroom)
My way of thinking it that you spend the $$$ on the lightweight pedals, so rather state the UCI weight.
Bottom line - One should merely state in which condition your bike was when it was on the scale.
Cervelo P3C 7.31kg (UCI)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com