tubeless tyre choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toastie

by toastie

Just bought a pair of dura ace 9000 c24 wheels and fancy running them tubeless as i already run both my mountain bikes tubeless and haven't had a puncture for 3 years!!
My problem is finding some decent light affordable tubeless tyres, i had settled on the schwalbe pro 1 tubeless tyre but have just checked the manufacturers website and it lists maximum load at 70KG and I'm about 86 plus bike at 7KG or as i have 2 wheels can i figure the load is spaced out at approximately 48KG per tyre ( allowing for kit etc ) and they will be fine for me at my weight?
any other recommendations for a decent tubeless 700x23 tyre

Jepas

by Jepas

I am running the previous model (Ultremo ZX Tubeless) and I am over 75kg plus bike. So about 82kg total and zero issues with these tyres. Do not know if there is a user weight limit on this model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Every tyre has a weight limit but as stated by the OP it's very high. 70Kg is per tyre so that would amount 140Kg if you consider 50/50 weight distribuition (not a reality but it's ok since the number is way high).

http://www.schwalbetires.com/sites/all/ ... /Load.html

toastie

by toastie

@jepas how do you find the tyres for grip/puncture resistance and wear, do you run them tubeless? if so how do you find them, any weight benefit over tubed by the time you add sealant?

@mariovalentim thank you for that, i did think that would be the case

Jepas

by Jepas

So far grip is good, (GP 4000S were the previous ones used) and I had zero punctures. Rear tyre is getting flat at the center, but nothing unusual. I only bought this set to try tubeless on the road (using UST on MTB since 2004), the set-up on my Ksyrium was not easy, I pray to never have to swap a tyre that is so tight on the middle of nowhere since these wheels do not have a deep center channel like the regular UST rims have, Ksyriums rim beds are simply flat so assembly is very hard.

I am running 60ml of NoTubes in each wheel. This setup is heavier than the previous GP4000S + Conti Supersonic, but the rolling resistance seems to be a little lower and the puncture protection is higher because of the sealent. The weight penalty and the trouble on the assembly makes me think twice on runnin tubeless again when these get old (at least on my current wheels).

Miller

by Miller

The Ultremo ZX tubeless is a lovely tyre with a very fast feel to it (sorry no hard data to back that up!) but was replaced with the One tubeless. I've been running a pair of these in 25mm width and it's an impeccable tyre for all-round riding. Both the Ultremo and first-gen One come in at around 300g so there is no weight saving over a conventional clincher but the new generation of light weight tubeless might be changing that equation. Weight isn't the advantage for tubeless, the main benefit lies in a performance feel allied with high survivability to tyre intrusions.

Re post above, it's really worth using rims with a tubeless-ready profile.

toastie

by toastie

@miller thank you for that, i currently run ultrimo zx tyres in a 23 and like them a lot, the main reason i bought the 9000 c24 was that they're tubeless ready, i have in the past run tubeless on my MTB using non tubeless rims and standard tyres and although it can be made to work it really is more hassle than its worth so if I'm going to do it on my road bike i definitely want to be using the correct rim tyre combination

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I've used both the Ultremo and One and liked them both. Interested in the new Vittoria tubeless offerings too.

toastie

by toastie

well it appears i may have jumped the gun a bit as not all 9000 C24 rims are tubeless :shock: i wrongly thought that they were :oops: so i guess i will now have to wait for the guy to send me the rims to see which ones i have bought before i start ordering tyres and sealant for them

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

the tubeless variant of the C24 ends with a TL as in WH-9000-C24-TL a mouthfull

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The ultimo tubeless is a great tire, very fast. If you need something more durable the specialized armadillo tubeless tires are pretty good.

FYI, the scandium rim on the DA wheels does NOT like tubeless sealants like Stans and using it does void the warranty (although it sounds like you are buying them second hand so there the warranty is already voided I think)

toastie

by toastie

Thanks dan I just read that on a the forum and I think Caffelatex seems to be the sealant of choice as it contains no ammonia ?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized turbo tubeless?
Using Tapatalk

zirinpio97

by zirinpio97

Schwalbe pro one tubeless 25 mm + caffelatex I think are better that my tubolar Veloflex .Hard to mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toastie

by toastie

Been reading lots about the schwalbe pro one evo and they seem to be the tyre of choice at the moment plus seem to be the only ones i can get hold of as in the UK i can't find any ultrimo zx tubeless and even the schwalbe I'm having to order from germany and can only get in a 23! but I'm struggling with which sealant to use, doing a search throws up lots of threads as mentioned above about stans damaging shimano rims and shimano actually printing in the user manual that any sealant that contains ammonia will invalidate the warranty, ( not that thats a concern as I'm buying used but i don't want to wreck my rims ) but the only sealant I've ever used has been stans. The only one i can find that states no ammonia is the cafelatte but it seems to get very mixed reviews, so any advice on which to use or real world experiences of stans damaging rims etc?