Help / Advice required!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

I’m quite new to cycling, arrived at it after an injury ruined running career, and this summer I plan on doing the Alpe d’Huez triathlon (long course). The bike leg is 115km long, non-drafting and includes three 800m plus climbs, and the UK half Ironman at Wimbleball Lake, which also included a very hilly non-drafting bike section.

The time has come for me to start putting together the bike for the job!!! I’m been doing a lot of research and thinking about the requirements and although I plan on doing other triathlons in the build-up I have decided to avoid the TT bike route. Not being from a cycle back ground I think I’ve got enough to learn without adding the complication of a TT bike. Also I’m not sure a TT bike will benefit me for these races? Feel free to disagree!

My budget is healthy, but not endless, maybe £3,000 max! Given the demands of my main two targets (non-drafting / very hilly) I’m thinking a light weight aero setup would be best?? Or should I just go light weight!???

Currently my local Specialized shop has a beautiful S-Works Venge (2013) frameset in my size (54cm) for £1,100, what seems like a steal and a good starting point for my build, plus leaves some cash for a decent build??? But will it be too heavy a platform / not appropriate for climbing up mountains!!!!!?

Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

At this time of year shop around, eBay, classifieds and bike shops have their test models. With low mileage for half a price. But before shopping, get measured and decide on size. I would go with light and maybe clip on aerobars for flat sections.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

I would recommend the Canyon Ultimate or Aeroad as they are very good aerodynamically and the weight. Another one is the new Scott Foil plus it just won the Tour magazine's best race bike of 2016.

stormur

by stormur

wiggle : Neilpryde Nazare. Light , aero, with 78degr seatpost easy convertible to TT. 1500gbp ultegra equipped. unbeatable deal.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Canyon Aeroad, great aerodynamics/comfort/weight and a great price for a complete bike with a respectable aero wheelset. With Di2 you'll have the possibility to mount aero extensions without too much hassle.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroa ... 0-di2.html

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

Thanks everyone for their help, one issue is I find the Canyon Aeroad very ugly, and think I'd struggle with it regardless how good a bike it is!!!! Anyone else think this??? Probably just me!

However, I really like the look of the Ultimate, and the weight would be perfect, but the lead time is already mid June for my size so that's far to late and a non-starter!

This is the Venge frameset I've been offered

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... ksvengedi2

Looks beautiful and seems like a steal, but I'm getting the feeling most of you think its the wrong frame for the job? Is it that much worse than the Aeroad on weight?
Last edited by Speedypalmer on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

I'll look into the Scott and the wiggle offer now!

Thanks again :beerchug:

tinozee

by tinozee

I think you are in the minority if you think the Canyon aeroad is ugly! Personally I think the Venge is quite gross with the curved top tube. And I rode S-works frames for years. But to each his own. If you like a traditional look check out the Cannondale Evo.

Take a look at youtube to watch Purito climb on the aeroad or watch Kristoff bust a move on it. It's a sick bike imo.
Last edited by tinozee on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

The Neilpryde is only available in small and I'd be medium, plus I fancy a more well known brand ... whilst performance is king I am sadly a sucker for marketing!

That Scott is a sexy little number but struggling to find a deal on a frameset ... I'd really like to build the bike myself! Plus I'm pretty sure any standard build isn't going to have the quality of wheels I'm after, have my eyes on a set of 2015 Zipps on offer, tubular black decal, 404 rear and 303 front for £1,100, which I'm thinking will be a good setup for both climbing and aero??

Again any input here is very welcome as I have very little actual experience with different wheels and am only going what I read/advice from biking mates!

I already have a set of mavic aksiums I can use as training/everyday wheels.

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

I probably am in the minority (maybe of one!), Cannondale Evo is a great shout ...

tinozee

by tinozee

I ride an Evo hi mod currently and I must say that I am scared to try anything else. I put 20,000km on it in 2015. Over 20 centuries and weekly racing. It strikes the perfect balance between low weight, comfort and snap. Prior to it I loved the S-works Tarmac for it's stiffness, but it would beat me down a little after a full blast long ride. Honestly you can't really go wrong with most of these options you're looking at. Good luck.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The Cannondale would be a better option than the Venge for going uphill IMO. Less mass, and going uphill, the aero benefits probably aren't the be all and end all. Think it's probably a better all-rounder. I've been considering a hi-mod myself...

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

Couldn't find a better frameset than the Venge for the money, I really like the look of it in my frame size (54cm) so I've bought it! Also on looking for aero deep rim wheels I've bought a set of tubular 404 Firestrikes! I couldn't believe I found a set reduced into my budget and although I'll have to up my full build budget a bit I think it's worth it! I'll post a pic with weights once sorted.

Looking forward to the summer already!!!

lannes

by lannes

Speedypalmer wrote:Couldn't find a better frameset than the Venge for the money, I really like the look of it in my frame size (54cm) so I've bought it! Also on looking for aero deep rim wheels I've bought a set of tubular 404 Firestrikes! I couldn't believe I found a set reduced into my budget and although I'll have to up my full build budget a bit I think it's worth it! I'll post a pic with weights once sorted.

Looking forward to the summer already!!!

That sounds like a beefy build, did you get the clinchers or tubulars in the firestrikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johntranofficial

by johntranofficial

Speedypalmer wrote:Thanks everyone for their help, one issue is I find the Canyon Aeroad very ugly, and think I'd struggle with it regardless how good a bike it is!!!! Anyone else think this??? Probably just me!

However, I really like the look of the Ultimate, and the weight would be perfect, but the lead time is already mid June for my size so that's far to late and a non-starter!

This is the Venge frameset I've been offered

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... ksvengedi2

Looks beautiful and seems like a steal, but I'm getting the feeling most of you think its the wrong frame for the job? Is it that much worse than the Aeroad on weight?

Your budget is £3000 max and you've been offered an £8000 S-Works Venge.

The Canyon Aeroad is a pro level frameset that has won Tours and half the money almost and well within your budge and it's a stunning looking bike. Well to me anyways!

Good luck!