Pinarello Dogma 65.1 vs Cipollini RB1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sk8andrace

by sk8andrace

Hi to all & happy new year :-)

My name is Marc from Heidelberg, Germany. I'm a motorcycle road racer since more than 20 years now. I raced for Triumph, KTM and Ducati and at the moment for Aprilia.

To stay "fit" I do a lot of cycling, mainly with MTB but also some road bicycles. At the moment I have a Giant Propel which I've build up by myself. Now I want to do the road cycling a bit more serious and want to build myself a new bike based on a italian frame. I already choosed two models: The Pinarello Dogma 65.1, because I like the way they are manufactured and of course I like the assymetric design. Last but not least I also like the heritage and the history of the whole brand. The other model I've choosed is the Cipollini RB1000. On this model I also like the extra ordinary design compared to some other italian brands.

Now my question: What would be the prefect allround bike for a guy like me, for training, for fitness and maybe the one or other race.

I already fell in love with the Dogma of WW member MCW. I've tried to attache a photo, but it doesn't work :-(

Thanx for your help
Marc

fa63

by fa63

Hi Marc, welcome to the board.

I am sure both would be great bikes. Out of the those two brands, I would go with the Pinarello, though my choice would be the F8 model. I have never ridden one (although I have two buddies who ride them), but it seems to get rave reviews (and is a somewhat aerodynamic frame) and more importantly, it has a threaded bottom bracket that won't creak :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

I'd keep the Propel as it will do everything the others do just as well. If you really want something Italian then the Cipo is the only one that's actually built there. Don't kid yourself though, no bike will make you a better cyclist and the only reason to move on from the Giant is because you prefer the aesthetics of the others.

kgt

by kgt

Both Pinarello 65.1 and RB1K are both great frames. Pinarello is maybe a slightly better all rounder. The Cipollini is stiffer and the only real made in Italy. RB1K has a very aggressive geometry as well so make sure you will be comfortable on it before buying such an expensive frame.

sk8andrace

by sk8andrace

Thanx guys for your asistance and suggestions, really appreciate that.

Grill, I'm sure that another bike will not make me a better cyclist, but I really have a sense for beautyfull & asthethic technic. So to build me a Pinarello or a Cipollini, already the build process would be for me a great pleasure. To be honest, I can't wait to start :-)

I think I will go for the Pinarello :-) The Dogma 65.1 frame set is on sale at the moment here in a local bike shop, but only in size 53 and 56. The propel is size ML, which is size 54,5 and fit's me perfect. I'm 1.86m, do you think I should take the Pinarello in 53 or the 56?

Once again, thanx for your help.

Marc

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Buy whatever bike you think appeals to your aesthetic sense. Bikes are all so good right now. Just accept the fact that you may want to cry if you crash it in a race- but having raced motorcycles, you know what I mean!

Btw- what series did you race in?

mimason

by mimason

What is your inseam? I ride a 54 pina and ML giant. I think 53 way too small but 56 may be ok.

kgt

by kgt

56 for your height.
BTW have you considered Cipollini Bond? Much cheaper than RB1K and relatively new as a design (2014). Great reviews too.
65.1 is already several years old as a design (still a great frame though).

mattharrop

by mattharrop

I'm 186cm tall and ride a 55cm Dogma2 (same geometry as the 65.1).

irongatsby

by irongatsby

180cm here, and currently building a 54cm 65.1.

sebo2000

by sebo2000

Get the one that fits better, if it comes to the size: get proper fit before buying it, everyone has different limb length/torso, flexibility etc... I'm 178cm and ride 55CM could fit on 54 but not on 53cm because head tube is to short (I have back issues). I have friend same height 178cm riding size 51.5cm

Fiery

by Fiery

Ideally, try before you buy, but between those two definitely 56. Size 55 is effectively the same, just slightly lower and shorter (less than 5mm) and a slightly shorter front center - those two sizes would ride effectively the same, so don't worry that the 56 would be too big. It is also the closest size to the Propel M/L that you already have.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

I agree with the above. If the choice is between those two sizes, 56 is the way to go. I could be wrong but I think Bradley Wiggins who is about your height rode a 56 65.1 as well, with a 130mm to 140mm stem. My guess is you could find the right fit with a stem in the range of 110 to 140mm. Anything outside of that range, you'd probably need a different size frame.

Permon

by Permon

I am 186cm and Dogma 65.1 in size 56 is a perfect fit!
No way size 53 would be OK for You (considering You have standard body proportions :wink: ) .

garlet

by garlet

i am 179cm, my size is 54. fitPinarello Dogma 65.1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com