Power meter on a Rotor 3d+?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hodag1977

by hodag1977

You can buy a Power2max power meter only and install it on your existing Rotor crank. Have you checked their website? Power2max is a great fit for Rotor cranks, they're relatively inexpensive, and they measure left/right power. I've had mine for about 3 months (installed on a Cervelo R3) and have had no problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

hodag1977 wrote:You can buy a Power2max power meter only and install it on your existing Rotor crank. Have you checked their website? Power2max is a great fit for Rotor cranks, they're relatively inexpensive, and they measure left/right power. I've had mine for about 3 months (installed on a Cervelo R3) and have had no problems.

Not to be pedantic, but this is not quite true.

Power2Max will measure total power and report its true value. However, it will not give you a true left/right power number.

The left/right number, as stated a few posts ago, is estimated. P2M gives value to the power delivered on the downstroke and assuming none on the upstroke.

If someone wants power with a true left/right balance number then they need to go with one of the following options:

- Look Power Pedal
- Garmin Vector (two-sided, not single-sided S version)
- PowerTap Power Pedal
- Favero BePro Pedal
- Pioneer Power Crankset
- Verve Infocrank
- Rotor Power Crankset
- 4iiii's Precision (when dual-sided is released)
- WatTeam PowerBeat (is this released yet??)
- Stages (when dual-sided is released)

Note that all of the pedal options require you to move to a Keo or Keo-compatible cleat. If that's not your thing then they are automatically eliminated. Then there are another three options tha are pedal-independent, but none of those are on the market as of now.

The only other true L/R options that are actually on the market are crank based, with the Rotor option being the most expensive as they have yet to lower their prices out of the ridiculous price range.

Seeing as the OP doesn't want to spend an obscene amount of money, that makes the Rotor P2M spider-only option the best thing for him. And since no one has come up with any meaningful use for L/R balance numbers other than "oooh, look at that", P2M reporting true power with an estimated L/R balance shouldn't be an issue either.

My personal opinion is that ease of use, accuracy, and having a true power number, rather than an estimated number via doubling the single-sided figure, are the most important things to get from a PM. In which case, just get the P2M, keep the existing crank, ride, and be happy.

phips

by phips

I've ran power meters for over seven years. Polar (original one that measured chain tension!), a few Powertaps, a Quarq, an SRM and power2max Type-S. I replaced everything, eventually, with power2maxes (I have four of them - including one on MTB). The p2ms all work faultlessly, don't require any faff before starting a ride, and are a fair price to boot. I can't recommend them enough (no, I don't work for them ;-))

You can buy the p2m for a Rotor 3D+ and retrofit it with great ease ... http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produ ... anks-road/

reknop

by reknop

Krackor wrote:P2M reports a virtual left-right balance based on where in the pedal stroke the power is measured. If you only push on the downstroke with each leg then it will be accurate. If you have a completely round pedal stroke it won't tell you anything about left-right balance.

Pioneer Pedaling Monitor System does a left/right measurement as well (12 times per rotation on each side, if used with the Pioneer SGX-CA500 head unit). I'm trying to figure out how much additional info this left right balance will provide you and how it helps improving. :)

But I'm looking for an alternative power meter for my bad weather bike. So power2max is in my crosshairs ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net