Giant TCR SL ISP/ Stem length?????????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

OK, I have a Large TCR SL and because of the stiff frame it can be a bit twitchy on the front. I now have a 100mm stem on it and was wondering IF I changed to a 120mm would make the bike less front end twitchy.

Thanks for helping an aging roadie. I should consider a Synapse or Roubaix, but for now I have to try to make my bike work for me.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Do you get sore hands or shoulders currently?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Yes, I do..

lannes

by lannes

yes a longer stem would make for a more stable front end, you can also flip the stem over to +6 to lessen the saddle to bar drop as well

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Your problem is most likely that your saddle is too far forward, causing too much weight on the front wheel and tension in your arms/shoulders. Which will lead to the bike feeling twitchy. A longer stem will make it worse. That bike should handle really well - you just need to get properly balanced on it.

upside

by upside

My saddle is set up with the 23mm set-back .. as there also is the 15mm. The saddle is 9.5cm behind the BB.. so the saddle in this case isn't to forward. Anyway, I just ordered a 120 and may give that a go. Thanks so much for your help.

wingguy

by wingguy

Which kinda illustrates why asking for this kind of fitting advice over the internet doesn't work. The best anyone can say is that all else being equal a 120 should give a slightly smoother, slower steering feel than a 100... But all else won't be equal when you change your position by 2 cm!

You really either need an in person fit or do trial and error with different stem lengths to see what balance of desirable handling and comfortable positioning you can get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com