Lezyne pump revisited

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poulidor

by Poulidor

Removing that bulky Silca chuck after you have inflated your tire is like separating two fighting bulldogs. And after you've managed to pry it lose, you'll hit your fingers hard against the spokes. Which might be why Silca sells a Hirame-like chuck for $100. In other words, $500 for the pump and then $100 extra to make it work somewhat decently. It's absurd.

By the way, you'll find chucks exactly like the Silca bone-breaker for a dime a dozen. Copy-cats, but exactly like it and you can also fit the Silca rubber in it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Poulidor wrote:Removing that bulky Silca chuck after you have inflated your tire is like separating two fighting bulldogs. And after you've managed to pry it lose, you'll hit your fingers hard against the spokes. Which might be why Silca sells a Hirame-like chuck for $100. In other words, $500 for the pump and then $100 extra to make it work somewhat decently. It's absurd.

By the way, you'll find chucks exactly like the Silca bone-breaker for a dime a dozen. Copy-cats, but exactly like it and you can also fit the Silca rubber in it.

I would really like to splurge for a Hirame pipe but my pump gets used by my wife and her schrader bike. Havin a Lezyne pump that I love + a non screw presta head + the possibility to use the schrader head from time to time seems like the best scenario for my situation.

justaute

by justaute

mariovalentim wrote:
justaute wrote:That's why I use one of these on my Lezyne. Connect it to the above-referenced ABS chuck -- boom -- all is well.

is that the silca head? it screws into the lezyne hose?!

Yes. I use it on my Lezyne Classic HP floor pump. The Silca head screws right into the Lezyne ABS head.

wobbly

by wobbly

Get yourself a topeak pump with the multi head. Works a treat. Gutted that I cracked the screen of my digital topeak a few years back but is set to the right pressure and still beeps when reached.
Anyone have a recommendation for a digital pump ?

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I removed several cores with my Lezyne pump until I got an ABS chuck. It has never happened since.
This has everything to do with pressure. As long as there is high pressure in the line while the chuck is screwed onto the valve core the pressure pushes back on the chuck which binds the threads together (imagine pulling a screw from a nut. It is much harder to back out.) Personally I find the screw on chucks much more dependable than the lever style.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

∆ This.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm still using my Silca Track pump from 1983!

velomane

by velomane

Frankly, I find Silca pricing to be insane. I'm quite happy with my Lezyne/ screw on chuck.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I really wanted a digital gauge but don't like the Lezyne screw on head - too impatient I guess.

So I took my favourite head (one for a Rennkompressor) that is super reliable and fast to fit as well as being available as a spare part and fitted it to the cheapest Lezyne digital pump I could find.

Perfect for me.

mattr

by mattr

velomane wrote:Frankly, I find Silca pricing to be insane.

should have got in before the rush. I paid about 20 quid for mine. 25+ years ago!

AJS914

by AJS914

Current Silca pricing is insane. I guess it was no longer profitable to make the simple old school Track pump.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

AJS914 wrote: I guess it was no longer profitable to make the simple old school Track pump.

The Silca name was bought by some American guy who was determined to turn Silca into some Mickey Mouse 'boutique' project centred on marketing hype rather than good quality 'nuts n bolts' products.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The guy was the engineer from zipp who used to be their spokesman.

Poulidor

by Poulidor

Valbrona wrote:
AJS914 wrote: I guess it was no longer profitable to make the simple old school Track pump.

The Silca name was bought by some American guy who was determined to turn Silca into some Mickey Mouse 'boutique' project centred on marketing hype rather than good quality 'nuts n bolts' products.

I was stupid enough to buy a set of their hex tools, the case arrived with a chunk of wood chipped off near the hinge, wrote them an email and I'm still waiting for a response.

I believe some bicycle industry merchants have spotted a significant niche in those with more money than sense and they are exploiting it to the fullest. And they are laughing their way to the bank like those that traded glass beads for gold. And that includes the NAHBS crowd. It's rather disgusting, really.

uraqt

by uraqt

The deal is that we all should be adding nitrogen to our tires anyway : ) and with a real accurate gauge.

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com