Lezyne pump revisited

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Got the Lezyne floor pump and don't have any issues with the head beyond very occasionally unscrewing a loose core. Mine has become a bit inefficient on the downstroke (doesn't feel like it's pumping anything until the bottom couple of inches, sometimes misses a stroke at low pressure). Is there a way to service this or oil it? Looks like the body separates with a peg spanner of some sort which I don't have....other than that, nice pump, well made, etc...

Cheers,

Simon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

patchsurfer wrote:Is there a way to service this or oil it? Looks like the body separates with a peg spanner of some sort which I don't have....other than that, nice pump, well made, etc...

Cheers,

Simon

here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1C95E5RCxo

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Thanks for the link!

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

thanks, much appreciated!

Poulidor

by Poulidor

I apologize if I'm overextending my welcome with this long thread. However, I just received an email from Lezyne. To summarize, although there isn't much to summarize: "there is no way it can pop off..." Well, there you have it. The perfect product that accepts no questioning or possibility of failure. Fantastic...!!! Good to know. Except that I'll never buy anything remotely Lezyne ever again. Cheers.

pavel

by pavel

The floor pump is.... not good. Had one in the shop, they wear out very quickly.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Poulidor wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
AJS914 wrote: I guess it was no longer profitable to make the simple old school Track pump.

The Silca name was bought by some American guy who was determined to turn Silca into some Mickey Mouse 'boutique' project centred on marketing hype rather than good quality 'nuts n bolts' products.

I was stupid enough to buy a set of their hex tools, the case arrived with a chunk of wood chipped off near the hinge, wrote them an email and I'm still waiting for a response.

I believe some bicycle industry merchants have spotted a significant niche in those with more money than sense and they are exploiting it to the fullest. And they are laughing their way to the bank like those that traded glass beads for gold. And that includes the NAHBS crowd. It's rather disgusting, really.

Can't resit!

Because chipped wood which most likely happened during shipping is Silca's fault...right... I bet they will end up sending you a new wooden box, chill.

Yea there are some crooks out there, theres no hiding that. But you are way off base if you think revamped Silca are just out there to drain your bank account. I suggest you look up a guy named Joshua Poertner and see what his deal is. Shit, ill even give you a head start: read this http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-sp ... o3pvzb5zVo

You might think its a bunch of mumbo jumbo marketing bull crap but some of us actually appreciate and see value in precision made, durable, accurate tools and measuring devices that will last longer than you and I will live.

I hope one day you might realize how silly and off base your comment is. I get it, your pissed off. Shit happens.

Have you every realized how out of spec many mass produced frames are? They suck. People rave about them here but there was a good amount of time when Cannonade evo frames were awful in those regards for a while. Rear spacing was out of spec, as well as dropout alignment and chain stay tolerances. One of the things you can be sure of is that that "NAHBS crowd" churns out near perfect frames in most cases. And that is a fact. It is really something to behold if you ever are able to put your hands on a Firefly, Mosaic, Coconino, etc... You are obviously not their target market and there is nothing wrong with that.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Again, only thing that wears out on these pumps is a $0.02 o-ring, that takes about 5 minutes to replace, and lezyne will send you 5 of for free if you e-mail them. Clearly not everybody has had the same experience, but I prefer that to bending/breaking the valve stems when removing the pump head, or pump heads that wear out and can't clamp onto the valve stem securely. If you spend 10x more on a silca pump, you're probably going to be more satisfied. If you spend 1/10x on something else then you probably won't be satisfied.

pavel

by pavel

I have a cheap-ass serfas pump that has never worn out that is 1/3 the cost of the lezyne. I also have a silca super pista that has not worn out in the same amount of time. I dont think its a price issue.

Benno

by Benno

I agree, the only time any of my pumps (or any of my tools for that matter) get destroyed is when someone else uses them. I have had super cheap tools that have impressed me, obscenely expensive tools that have disappointed me, and everything in between. I sorta shop with my brain a little bit more now and have mostly learned that you can't just throw money at something expecting it to be good.
-oh ya and I must be getting old and going blind but I also won't buy another pump that has a low mounted pressure gauge.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I bought a Silca Pista a few years ago. I had read they were the last pump you would need to buy. It was a piece of crap.

I replaced it with a Lezyne and couldn't be happier. And yes, pushing the pressure release valve substantially reduces the chances of unscrewing the valve core.

My only Lezyne complaint is that I also bought a travel version to keep in the car. The hose on that is way too short.

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a Lezyne Road Drive pump mounted on my bike. It's been a great addition and it is actually my first mini-pump. I avoided mini-pumps for years and years.

The only knock I have against it is that it's easy to lose the o-ring that the pump hose screws against. And if you lose that you are almost screwed. There is an o-ring on the other end of the pump that is little smaller but can be used in a pinch to get some air into the tire.

RussellS

by RussellS

I have a Silca Super Pista pump. Fine pump. Worked a number of years now and will likely keep working for many more years. I did immediately replace the hose and pump head with a fine Topeak pump head and hose. I want my pump head to clamp onto the valve, not push on and hope the rubber contracts enough to keep it on. I had an older Silca with the pump head not staying on the valve stem. No thanks. Also have a Topeak pump with a Topeak head in the basement and it is a fine pump too. I use the Silca pump more and appreciate the snobbiness it gives me. Silca! Italian! The pressure gauge on the Silca is at my feet and on the Topeak up at the handle. Its better up high.

AJS914

by AJS914

When the silca presta chuck pops off that usually means that the inside of the gasket has been reamed out too much by threads on most inner tubes. This happens when you push the chuck too far down on the stem. The gasket should seat on top of the valve stem like this:

I installed one of these newer style (red) Silca 242 gaskets in my presta head and it felt like a nice upgrade over the old black gasket. The material also seems tougher and should last longer.

http://silca.cc/products/silca-242-gask ... sta-chucks

Team Murray

by Team Murray

I have a Silca track pump from 30 years ago and it has lasted longer than any other pump

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com