Lezyne pump revisited

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

srshaw

by srshaw

mdeth1313 wrote:Never used/tried one. Bought a slica super pista about 10 years ago and never needed anything else.

I've got a Silca track pump from about 1995 or so. Still works a treat. That's what a good pump should be.

mattr

by mattr

:) I bought a cheap Silca when i was a skint teenager, with the intention of upgrading to a Rennkompressor once i had some more money.

Took a couple of decades to break the silca, all i did was replace the head once and a couple of seals in the new head.

I've got two rennkompressors now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timmbo

by timmbo

My lezyne floor pump is fantastic. However, trying to unscrew the hose of the road micro drive, only to have it unscrew the valve core each time, will make you want to throw yourself under a bus.

LionelB

by LionelB

timmbo wrote: trying to unscrew the hose of the road micro drive, only to have it unscrew the valve core each time, will make you want to throw yourself under a bus.

cannot agree more

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

timmbo wrote:My lezyne floor pump is fantastic. However, trying to unscrew the hose of the road micro drive, only to have it unscrew the valve core each time, will make you want to throw yourself under a bus.

Nowadays they have an air bleed system that prevents this from happening.
Works great and you can buy these 'ABS chucks' separately.

1415chris

by 1415chris

This what timmbo is describing has nothing to do with pressure.
Their road pumps' heads go on the valve cores threads very tightly. Sometimes, depends on the valve, it is quite difficult to engage the threads, head and valve.
I managed to unscrew the core as well, since then I make sure the cores sit tightly enough no to be unscrewed together with the head.

justaute

by justaute

That's why I use one of these on my Lezyne. Connect it to the above-referenced ABS chuck -- boom -- all is well.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

1415chris wrote:This what timmbo is describing has nothing to do with pressure.
Their road pumps' heads go on the valve cores threads very tightly. Sometimes, depends on the valve, it is quite difficult to engage the threads, head and valve.
I managed to unscrew the core as well, since then I make sure the cores sit tightly enough no to be unscrewed together with the head.

Although screwing the cores in tight helps, the air bleed button was introduced for exactly the reason stated, and eliminated the problem of unscrewing the cores.

LionelB

by LionelB

knukkeltje wrote:
timmbo wrote:My lezyne floor pump is fantastic. However, trying to unscrew the hose of the road micro drive, only to have it unscrew the valve core each time, will make you want to throw yourself under a bus.

Nowadays they have an air bleed system that prevents this from happening.
Works great and you can buy these 'ABS chucks' separately.

Are these things fitting into the small hand pump ?

1415chris

by 1415chris

goodboyr wrote:

Although screwing the cores in tight helps, the air bleed button was introduced for exactly the reason stated, and eliminated the problem of unscrewing the cores.

You think that peope are so thick that for many years of using these heads they don't press the button before taking the head of?
I think you still not getting what I meant.

uraqt

by uraqt

I am not 100% sure that pressing the button prevents the issue 100% of the time.. : )

I have all heads are talking about

a few Silca heads, a Lezyne and Birzman Snap-It

I kinda like Birzman Snap-It however I don't know if it will hold up for 40 years like my Silca ones. The Birzman Snap-It is by far the easiest one to use and the quickest as you rush to leave : )

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... out&page=2

C

goodboyr

by goodboyr

1415chris wrote:
goodboyr wrote:

You think that peope are so thick that for many years of using these heads they don't press the button before taking the head of?
I think you still not getting what I meant.

I'm responding to your statement that it has nothing to do with air pressure. You are wrong.

Benno

by Benno

I've had to loctite all my valve cores as my lezyne hand pump kept unscrewing the core about 4 times in a row one day when I had a flat. Luckily my riding friend was very patient and it was a nice sunny day.
In the future I will never buy another pump that doesn't have a simple lever actuated head on it.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Funny I haven't had this problem. Perhaps you are tightening the head way too much. It's an o ring seal, so once you thread the head past the o ring its good to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

justaute wrote:That's why I use one of these on my Lezyne. Connect it to the above-referenced ABS chuck -- boom -- all is well.

is that the silca head? it screws into the lezyne hose?!