The CAAD12 Disc Thread (Ride report, pictures, BB30A)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

so for gearing the internal routing is not full outer, but the hydraulic hose obviously runs the full length.

What the guide arrangement under the BB then?

Are the gear "internal" routing entry point into the frame a ferrule/endstop (but internal) arrangement?

jeffy

by jeffy

pardon my stupidity but what are the barrel looking adjusters mounted on the hydraulic hoses? Does it have a practical purpose?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Shouldn't they be a 'quick release' of sorts? There to make switching easier without the need to re-bleed.

CBJ

by CBJ

Here is a video about it

https://vimeo.com/85855556

jeffy

by jeffy

what is the point? what switching do you mean?

Multebear

by Multebear

Nice review Seanblurr. Why do you find it unfair to compare it to the Venge? As far as I understand and just learned, a lot of people use the Caads for critracing. Would the Caad be inferior for racing against Venges?

lwrncc

by lwrncc

jeffy wrote:pardon my stupidity but what are the barrel looking adjusters mounted on the hydraulic hoses? Does it have a practical purpose?

They are just rubber protectors against cable rub.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I rode 17 miles on a Caad 12 demo bike when Cannondale was having a demo in my area. Harsh, loud, and unstable was what I felt. I've ridden three different disc brake bikes and this was the worst of them all.

jlok

by jlok

jeffy wrote:pardon my stupidity but what are the barrel looking adjusters mounted on the hydraulic hoses? Does it have a practical purpose?

They are called "Easy Hose Joint System". Maybe it's invented from a manufacturer's stand point to shorten the time to assemble a road bike with disc brake.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

Nice write up. I would add my comment as an owner of CAAD12 Disc size 52 (stack 536, reach 381mm).

-Matt paints are thin (and light?); finishing/workmanship not top, feels cheap.
-The fork seems to be same as the one from CAAD10 Disc.

-Stem is 90mm 7-degree. You can't read the figures unless you remove the face plate of the stem. Pretty stupid.
-If the stem is not installed at the top of the fork (i.e. slammed), better cut the fork accordingly once it's found fit. I think the top cap/expander is designed for no spacer above stem. The fork had produced noises before the cut as I lowered the stem.
-The bar width is 420mm, no idea about the reach/drop.
-Very noticeable flexes are at the hull of the saddle. Swapped with Prologo Scratch 2 PAS right away.
-Saddle clamp is of typical poor Cannondale seat post design. The rear clamping bolt is the tool-less knob type. It works when it's smooth, but not most of the time. In the end you need a small hex (2mm) to slot in the little hole in the knob to turn it. Swapped with Cannondale (well...) carbon 25.4 seat post with traditional 2-bolt clamp design.

-Brake discs are 6-bolt ISO. Pads are metallic. Front and rear pads are incompatible as the calipers are of different design (RS785 vs RS505). Btw, BR-RS505 has the same weight as BR-RS805, I wonder what is the difference apart from the paint and price.
-Internal hydraulic line for rear brake hits the inside of the frame and makes noises when the road is rough.
-No brake bleeding block nor dummy disc spacer is included.
-No tube spacer for the bleeding kit (BT-03S) is included (you need it to better keep the tube attached to the bleed port for the front brake caliper). It comes with a new caliper purchase if my memory is correct.
-There is no hose stopper at the entrance of the downtube, which means there may be a little movement of the rear brake hose. The hose may actually rub against the hose entrance (with powders of the rubbed off paint as proof).

-ST-RS505 is ugly but I think it's of a better design than RS685, for the better rubber cover of the hood (won't loose up, feels solid). Anyway, I swapped it with RS685, purely for the look.

-Didn't bother with the wheelset. It's a wide-rim design tho. Swapped with my Enve right away.

-I actually like the rear derailleur cable port at chainstay. The wire goes straight with that design, should be smoother.

I came from a Domane 4.5 Disc, and the ride feel is surely much different. CAAD is much more responsive; less BB drop let me keep pedaling during corner; and of course less plush. I think both frame geometry and design contributed equally.

I like thru-axle of the Domane. The QR design puts more pressure on the cartridge bearing hubs I think. With thru-axle, the axle itself takes the clamping force.

I have to concur to the point that disc brake is consistent. Also, it doesn't hurt any rim when braking in wet. One-finger braking is a pleasure to have during curvy down hill. It's the best reward for any climb.

Spidering is so beautiful (like it or hate it) that I couldn't resist and swapped the original with the 10-arm ring.

And I like horizontal top tube, looks great and let me sit on it during light stops and Sagan-style downhill.

Thanks for reading.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

superdx

by superdx

bombertodd wrote:I rode 17 miles on a Caad 12 demo bike when Cannondale was having a demo in my area. Harsh, loud, and unstable was what I felt. I've ridden three different disc brake bikes and this was the worst of them all.

Was it a very low end model? When I first road a SuperSix EVO I had very much the same response, "wtf is this". Was test riding a low end model with 105 and all aluminium C3 kit. I asked to ride a higher end model with Ultegra, carbon wheels and carbon kit and the difference was astounding. The Cannondale aluminium components like C3, and maybe even C1 are extremely harsh. Totally wreck the ride and mess with what the frame is capable of.

CBJ

by CBJ

jlok wrote:They are called "Easy Hose Joint System". Maybe it's invented from a manufacturer's stand point to shorten the time to assemble a road bike with disc brake.

That is what I understand it will take a lot less skills to assemble a bike with this for internally routing of the brakes so manufacturers can save money with this. I does add weight and I does not look too nice though. Ironic for me as I have external routing on my GT Grade but I still have the connectors.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

superdx wrote:
Was it a very low end model? When I first road a SuperSix EVO I had very much the same response, "wtf is this". Was test riding a low end model with 105 and all aluminium C3 kit. I asked to ride a higher end model with Ultegra, carbon wheels and carbon kit and the difference was astounding. The Cannondale aluminium components like C3, and maybe even C1 are extremely harsh. Totally wreck the ride and mess with what the frame is capable of.

It was a Caad12 Disc Dura Ace bike. http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/P ... a386243e89

Braking and shifting were great. Not much else was. The rattles drove me nuts!

jlok

by jlok

CBJ wrote:
jlok wrote:They are called "Easy Hose Joint System". Maybe it's invented from a manufacturer's stand point to shorten the time to assemble a road bike with disc brake.

That is what I understand it will take a lot less skills to assemble a bike with this for internally routing of the brakes so manufacturers can save money with this. I does add weight and I does not look too nice though. Ironic for me as I have external routing on my GT Grade but I still have the connectors.

Judging by the position of the joint, I'd say it favors "division of labor" in a production line.

the whole handlebar is being assembled with below items:
1. Brake/Shifters
2. Inner/Outer shift cables
3. Hydraulic brake hose with the J-kit.
4. Bar tape wrapped

then it's moved to final assembly and hose connection with bleeding will be done here.

Otherwise, can't see the point of the joint at that particular position. And it seems that we can't buy that joint retail.

But i have never been to any bike factory, it's just my wild guess...

xeladragon

by xeladragon

As others have said, nice thorough writeup! Kinda disappointing to hear about the rattling and other minor issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com