fsa chainset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toastie

by toastie

Been looking for a new/used crank for my tarmac s-works sl2 mainly to shed a bit of weight, it currently has an sram force 10 speed groupset and i have slowly been buying up bits of sram red to replace the groupset in its entirety and loose a few grams the only thing i need now is a new crank.
I was looking at an sram red but its not really much different in weight to the force i currently have, then i saw some FSA SLK cranks on a popular auction site with a claimed weight of 572g which seems a decent saving over the 659g of my current force crank plus the BB is quoted at 89g instead of 118g my question is has anyone else seen/bought one of these cranks and are they any good or even genuine? they seem too good to be true at less than £200.
Any other recommendations for a decent light crank that will fit an older bsa type frame and is easy to find

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

My FSA SL-K BB30 172.5mm 50/36t FSA rings is 609 grams on my USPS scale. I recently sold the same crank with 165mm arms and 50/34t rings that was around 575 grams. Most people hate FSA as the company produced a lot of disposable components up to 2008 and the reputation carries on; I like the SL-K for value (weight and price) and have experienced ZERO issues.

toastie

by toastie

@headwind thanks for the reply, the quality was one of my concerns, the other thing that is slightly strange is the claimed weight as most BB30 cranks seem to be light. Unfortunately i cannot run a bb30 in my frame hence looking at the new FSA 386evo BB as this is compatible and is a 172.5mm 50/34 which is what i was after but I'm surprised its lighter than a BB30 of the same crank

rcb78

by rcb78

I have an FSA K-Force BB386EVO crankset on my CX bike that is surprisingly light. 172.5 arms, 5x110 (last gen before they went 4 arm) and it weighs 397gr without rings. My Praxis road rings are 123gr and my Praxis CX rings are 156gr. Either way, its lighter than Red. Done some pretty hard trail riding on this crank and haven't had any issues with it yet. It's in a PF30 frame now, but I did run it in a BSA frame for a year too. I like it them, they can be had for a good price and have been plenty durable for my needs.
Last edited by rcb78 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toastie

by toastie

thanks for the replies will be keeping my eyes peeled for an FSA K force light crankset then which should help me shave about 100g off the bike :D

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Some high-end FSA cranksets are cheap because they are old stock, old graphics and/or old design. Nothing wrong with them. Just not the latest. I only use FSA K-Force and SL-K cranks and Inthink they are great. Great shifting and light.
Robert

toastie

by toastie

I've seen lots of them for sale when i didn't need one all at knock down prices but now I'm itching to buy one they're all too expensive or the wrong BB type!! always the way

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Keep in mind that some of the FSA cranks require the FSA bottom bracket. Even though it's BSA, the cups are thinner than a Shimano one.

toastie

by toastie

nlouthan wrote:Keep in mind that some of the FSA cranks require the FSA bottom bracket. Even though it's BSA, the cups are thinner than a Shimano one.

@nlouthan thanks for the advice, i think the K-Force light which is the one i would like has the 386 evo bottom bracket so i would need a specific one for that crank

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

toastie wrote:
nlouthan wrote:Keep in mind that some of the FSA cranks require the FSA bottom bracket. Even though it's BSA, the cups are thinner than a Shimano one.

@nlouthan thanks for the advice, i think the K-Force light which is the one i would like has the 386 evo bottom bracket so i would need a specific one for that crank

That BB386 system is great. I have two of them.
Robert

toastie

by toastie

@rpenmanparker are you using them in a standard english threaded bsa frame? if so which bottom bracket do you use? are all the 386 evo cranks compatible or are they as confusing as the BB30 ones that have different length spindles

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

The 5-Arm SL-K is a great chainset in BB30 guise.

Their lower-end stuff is fairly abysmal, though.

toastie

by toastie

Unfortunately I am unable to use bb30 in my frame

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

toastie wrote:@rpenmanparker are you using them in a standard english threaded bsa frame? if so which bottom bracket do you use? are all the 386 evo cranks compatible or are they as confusing as the BB30 ones that have different length spindles

I have used them in both BSA frames and BBright frames. Right now in my BSA frame, I use the steel ball version of the screw in cups (about $50). In my BBright frame I use an FSA PF30 bearing/nylon cup set with a 9 mm FSA spacer on the DS. It seems to me it should be an 11 mm spacer, but that didn't work. If it were a PF30 frame, I would use a spacer on each side. Who knows exactly what widths would work. Something near to 11 mm I suppose. There is only one crank spindle width and diameter that defines BB386. Only the BBs change to adapt the spindle to various shell standards.
Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rcb78

by rcb78

On my PF30 frame with the 386 crank, I'm using a spacer on the DS and one of the SRAM preload adjusters on the NDS with an extra 1mm spacer. This allows me to dial in the preload like on my Rotor 3d+. I never liked the wavy washer preload system.