Supersix Evo V Hi-Mod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Hello folks - trust you are all well. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on either a Supersix evo or a 2015 Hi-Mod.

Comparing the frames - is there really any tangible difference other than weight? From trawling the forums, I have seen the weight being mentioned extensively, although some mentioned the Hi-mod having a little more 'zing'. Is the frame actually any stiffer?

Thanks in advance for any input as this will help immensely in my purchasing decision!

Thanks.
M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wasfast

by wasfast

The difference is subtle but given the option, HiMod it is.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have the standard Evo. I bought a complete bike with Shimano 105 for $2000. Just a HiMod frame set is $3500. I stripped the parts and sold them on EBay. Put Campy Chorus 11 speed and my own wheels on it. Net cost about $4000. I love the bike and don't think HiMod would have made much difference but cost a lot more.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Cheers. I can get a himod frameset for £750

or a evo racing red edition (SRAM Red build essentially) for £1650

The evo racing is the much more affordable option!

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

you can also get a nano black inc, with 53/39 and 50/34 spidering plus SiSL2 crankset for £1599 (from the same place)
considering the crankset + one of the spidering is in the region of £500 and i guess you could eBay the other spidering for a reasonable amount (~£100?) i would at least consider the nano .....

.... but then i would also jump at the hi mod that you are looking at for £750 if i was in the market......

buy which ever (finished) bike would get you more excited to go out and ride...

personally, considering a limited budget i would go for the following deals available.

one of the frameset options.
5800 £280 from wiggle
6800 wheelset - £200 mantel.com in sale

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Cheers - I'll be bringing my wheels to the table. Clinchers eat 1450g and tubbies at 1380g odd.

ATM, I'm considering the hi-mod with a chorus build actually - although SRAM Red is highly tempting.

jeffy

by jeffy

SRAM etap group on wiggle (with plat discount £500 spent in last 365 days) is only ~£1000

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-red-etap-groupset/

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Ssssshhhhh - please don't tempt me ;-)

Calpol

by Calpol

MikeyBE wrote:Cheers - I'll be bringing my wheels to the table. Clinchers eat 1450g and tubbies at 1380g odd.

ATM, I'm considering the hi-mod with a chorus build actually - although SRAM Red is highly tempting.

Thats my plan. Ordered the frame from Pauls Cycles today. Got Chorus groupset MY15 from Planet X on 25th. £530 and only missing a chain.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

After some consideration I decided that campy will not do for this bike build - SRAM is the way forward.

I'm actually seriously considering the nano - given that it comes with the chainset of my dreams...

Calpol - congrats on the amazing deal on the chorus :D

jeffy

by jeffy

i was wrong about the etap price : ( only includes shifters and mechs.

with the chains the price is great on the nano.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Well considering you can get the chainset and chainrings for 650 or so, it's kinda like a 200 premium for the nano. I know it's a good deal but ultimately it's only around 40gs or so lighter, the thought of riding that bike around on cobbles and in races scares me, and will ultimately deplete my wallet by quite a considerable wedge!

Looking at a sub 6.8 build with ease with this himod :)

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Calpol wrote:
MikeyBE wrote:Cheers - I'll be bringing my wheels to the table. Clinchers eat 1450g and tubbies at 1380g odd.

Thats my plan. Ordered the frame from Pauls Cycles today. Got Chorus groupset MY15 from Planet X on 25th. £530 and only missing a chain.

Just wondering - does the frameset come with a BB and seatpost clamp at all?

Cheers.

numberSix

by numberSix

ordered in 2013, so not current info but:
frame, fork, headset, expander,
BB alloy cups bonded to the BB shell, so effectively BB30 not PF30 like the spec page
seat post clamp
der. hanger
BB cable guide, back brake cable stop, brake cable installer guide taped in place

great frame, don't even have my 'rain bike' built up. Enjoy your new ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njyeti

by njyeti

The Supersix Evo should be a bit smoother than the Hi Mod- but if you can pony up the difference go for the Hi Mod. Climbing on it is awesome- highly recommend the frameset.