Putting a Cervelo S2 on a diet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster...

Just gotten a Cervelo S2, and as purchased weighs 8.25Kg. I always knew it would weigh more than my CAAD9, so no surprise.

Wondering if anyone else has one, and if they put it on a diet. Obvious items:

- The RS10 wheels are heaaaavy, and anyways I have better wheels, so they are off.

- The bars (3T Ergonova) was 323g and as it didn't suit me thats replaced by (temporarily) FSA Vera at 312g (hahaha such a saving!), soon to be a K-FORCE Compact that I already have (just need new bar tape) at 210g

- The tires (Rubino Pro Slick at 239g) actually weren't bad though heavier than my preferred Ultremos at 184g

- The skewers (why are Shimamo's skewers so heavy?) are replaced with titanium ones from Token so thats 150g down to 40g.

So those three things (tyres, skewers and bars) loses me about 280g, so I'm down to roughly 8Kgs

The saddle Selle Royal is 306g so there should be an easy 100g there as well

Whats the thinking on the following:

1. The 105 / 58000 shifters and FD/RD combo - worth replacing with, say, Force?

2. The calipers are Gossamer, so also replace with Force?

3. What about the crankset? The Gossamer is not renowned for lightness.

Is it worth simply getting a Force 22 Groupo are swapping?

Anything obvious I've missed?

Thanks!
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

gmakris

by gmakris

I had the same bike - You should start from the wheels and inner tubes (I prefer Continental supersonic).
Carbon bars are not only lighter but more comfortable. If you can affort you can check San Marco Aspide FX saddle (121 grams)

After these changes you could reconsider to change some other parts if you can afford it.. :-)

Good luck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ill principe

by ill principe

Wheels for sure, a S2 needs aero wheels! But before swapping out everything else, think about why you got the S2 in the first place (cheaper than a S3/S5?). Otherwise you´ll end up with the "worlds most expensive entry aero bike".

Ride the hell out of it, and build a more expensive bike later.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

nlouthan

by nlouthan

"worlds most expensive entry aero bike"

That's a perfect description and exactly why my S1 is still on Ultegra 6600. Just like the S2, it won't ever be light regardless of how much money is thrown at it.

Alexvpaq

by Alexvpaq

Well the current s2 is about as aero as the s3( wind tunnel tested by cervelo) and weighs about the same. The s5 is faster right but it's not worlds ahead either.

You can still shed a ton of weight and make it more aero by upgrading for half the cost of the s5 frameset alone. Well, in my part of the world, it kind of make sense that way. Though I agree, if I had 10g to blow I would spend it on the better bike to begin with but I can't. So great "entry" bike + great parts make a freaking fine bike.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Thanks for the replies!

I already have a set of aero rims and they weigh about the same with tyres as the supplied wheels, so thats already a decent improvement for real world performance.

The point about "worlds most expensive entry aero bike" is fair and I already thought of that. The S2 was on 2015 runout at a very good price. In fact I could replace the whole groupo with Force, sell the existing groupo and still be under the regular list price. Assuming this page <http://www.thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2015-road-groupset-weights/> is correct there's a bout 500g available through swapping the groupo to Force.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Alexvpaq wrote:Well the current s2 is about as aero as the s3( wind tunnel tested by cervelo) and weighs about the same.

Yes, in fact the frames are identical, just different paint and decals job, in fact I preferred the S2 for appearance. Different forks though, however nearly no real world difference, as you say, according to Cervelo themselves.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I'd swap the group...those brakes are HEAVY, so you could save a bunch more weight by going for some Ciamillo's or similar light brake (TRP, etc.). The crank could be upgraded to a Rotor or Force really. If you don't want to over-improve the frame you can upgrade the levers/mechs with Rival for CHEAP and similar weight savings to Force.

prebsy

by prebsy

If you can find a BBright specific FSA K-Force Light crank that should save you a ton, they are cheap but hard to come by. I got one for $120 on ebay last year.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Do you have the weight to hand?

exctasy

by exctasy

These are the parts on my s2 that went on a diet
Ultegra 6770 STI, FD, RD
Rotor 3d+ Crankset
Duraace 7900 Brakes
105 pedals
Zipp 404 tubular with Vittoria Corsa 23 & 25mm
Cervelo S5 Aerobar
3T Arx Stem
Fizik Antares 00
Arundel Mandible Cages
Total Weight : Guessing around 7+kg.

sorry I've no accurate weights :noidea:

prebsy

by prebsy

@SixThirteen I want to say around 550g for the crank and you can lose a bit more swapping rings. Don't forget about bb weight when looking for a crank upgrade, you could swing 80 grams depending on the bb you choose/need.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

To help others folks considering doing this and to make the info easier to find, here's the weight of many of the supplied parts

edit - first go didn't work, seems the forum doesn't do iFrames.

second go. If an item is a pair eg calipers, then the weight shown is for both

Code: Select all

supplied item         weight (g)
front wheel   RS10 hub / Shim rim   829
rear wheel      RS10 hub / Shim rim   1153
skewers (both)   Shim skewer      150
tubes (both)   no name         178
tyres (both)   Rubino Pro Slick   478
saddle      Selle RoyalSR      306
bars         3T Ergonova      323
shifters (both)   Shinamo 5800   486
FD         Shinamo 5800      89
RD         Shinamo 5800      234
calipers (both)   Gossamer         360
crankset      Gossamer               770

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Since I dislike forum posts that don't follow up... I did the things mentioned, and re-weighed the bike at the weekend.

In day-day mode it comes in at 7.765kg so I've knocked about 500g off. This is what I had to buy:

Red 22 shifters
Force 22 RD, FD, Calipers
New saddle
Uno stem
Easton SLX3 carbon bars

and I already had a PowerTap deepdish wheelset

it was about 25g more than my modelling suggested, mainly due to having to use someone's else tube after a flat a couple weeks ago.

If I want "race weight" it'll be 7.416kg:

- lighter skewers
- lightweight tubes
- lightweight tyres

and superleggera mode ie lightest possible with what I own today would be 7.236kg.

Total price ie bike and upgrades I had to buy USD2200 or so. IMHO not bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bonafide

by bonafide

I have my 2014 S3 down to 15lbs -9oz with Enve 45 clinchers and Powertap. This includes bottle cages and 3 oz of Stans sealant.