weight of my c-59

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

A little surprised my bike weighed this much.
I have a 45 cm c-59 with dura ace c-24 wheels, dura ace shifters, semi-compact, brakes, front and rear deraliuer along with shimano xtr 9000 pedals(ultegra chain and rear cassette). The cockpit is 3t carbon and the seat is a selle italia flite with the hole cut out. on a whim i asked the bike shop to weigh it and it came in at 17 pounds. I speced out the same bike with a c-60 and that bike came in at 15.6. Other than weighing it with a bag, empty carbon cages and air in the tires. i was a little surprised it weighed about 1/5 pounds above the c60 on wrench science. i did the same exercise when the c59 was around and the spec'd weight was similar. Anyone else have a similar observation?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

That's a bummer, mine came in at 12.6lbs.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Ever got the impression that a lot of people outside North America don't know what 'pounds' are?

PSM

by PSM

Valbrona wrote:Ever got the impression that a lot of people outside North America don't know what 'pounds' are?

People in Burma knows!! :)

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

A seat bag with a multi tool , co2 and a tube weighs a lot more then you would think. Also the paint scheme will effect the weight close to 1/2 lb.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

thanks. the point wasn't to complain but rather to understand the weight difference.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

kode54

by kode54

and most places don't weigh in the pedals. something to factor in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Delorre

by Delorre

fromtrektocolnago wrote:A little surprised my bike weighed this much.
I have a 45 cm c-59 with dura ace c-24 wheels, dura ace shifters, semi-compact, brakes, front and rear deraliuer along with shimano xtr 9000 pedals(ultegra chain and rear cassette). The cockpit is 3t carbon and the seat is a selle italia flite with the hole cut out. on a whim i asked the bike shop to weigh it and it came in at 17 pounds. I speced out the same bike with a c-60 and that bike came in at 15.6. Other than weighing it with a bag, empty carbon cages and air in the tires. i was a little surprised it weighed about 1/5 pounds above the c60 on wrench science. i did the same exercise when the c59 was around and the spec'd weight was similar. Anyone else have a similar observation?

The WS configurator only uses spec'ed weights and for frames, this is usually in the smallest size. They use 1,9 lbs for a c60 frame. No way this can be real! And for me, their configurator don't take into account weight of cables. In your case, add around 0,7 to 0,8 lbs, and you get a +/- realistic weight for a c60 to compare :wink:

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Agree that the WS weight is no bag and probably no pedals or cages and your saddlebag is probably a lot heavier than you realize. If you have a kitchen scale, pull it off and weigh it. Might as well do the pedals and cages too. Also, WS is probably using the manufacturer claimed weight for their calculation, not actual weight. Tires, tubes, cables, headset spacers and all the other small parts can add up to a big difference too.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

thanks, all makes sense now. the guy at the bike shop said the bike weight was actually reasonably low, maybe not by weight weenie standards, but still low. I hadn't considered cables. the numbers make more sense now. I don't need to know to the exact ounce. was more of a curiosity as I recently upgraded most , but not all of the components to dura ace and then swapped pedals as to xtr 9000 as the old ones were all scratched up and looked awful against the new dura ace crank.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

AJS914

by AJS914

My size 52S C59 comes in at 16 pounds (7.3kg) with pedals, bottle cages, but no seat bag. I have a Chorus grouppo, Campy Eurus wheels, 3T carbon bars, Deda superleggero stem, Colnago carbon seatpost, and Prologo carbon saddle. (My Parlee with the same parts, came in at 1/2 pound less so the C59 must weigh that much more).

It seems like your bike should be in the same ballpark. I'd check the weight of the seatpack. Also, you don't have some heavy tires and tubes installed?

Even though I'm a weight weenie at heart and if money were no object I'd dump a few grand into my bike and get it to under 15lbs, I still like to keep things in perspective. My bike is a great ride and I haven't gone with any exotic or less reliable parts to get the weight down. I also passed on Record/Super Record because it's another $1000+ to save half a pound and most of the weigh savings comes from the titanium cassette and crankset. My wheels are reasonably light and I'm not willing to go tubular so to save 200grams on wheels, I'd have to come up with around $1500. I just think I'm at the part of the curve where the returns start diminishing and the price goes up exponentially.
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

riding pro 4 endurance. not the lightest tire for sure. but i like em
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

AJS914

by AJS914

Every little bit adds up. Those XTR pedals alone add a 1/4 pound over a 200gram set of road pedals.

kgt

by kgt

Really... xtr pedals (and mtb shoes?) are not for road bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i'm going thru this now (endlessly really) and it is extraordinary what must be done on a colnago (c-59 and c-60 close to a dead match for weight i think) to get it down sub 15 lbs (below 6.8 kg), especially if you want to keep 25 mm rubber on it. on the other hand as ajs alludes to, ~ 7 and a bit kg (16 lbs ish) is very doable. getting to where ryanH is (12.6 lbs or 5.73 kg) requires some real specific work. what's interesting is once you've got the lightest bars, stem, pedals etc how much difference tyre rubber makes (and its cost relative to other weight saving measures, i.e. cheap - albeit at expense of ride comfort).
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D