advice on some wheels : Zipp 202 versus Ksyrium SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

altdrumz

by altdrumz

Hey -

So I thinking used set - Seen some 550-600 used Zipp 202's I'm thinking would be good climbing wheels for the BUMPS series races here in New England. Did Washington, Greylock, a few of the others and could use a better
set of wheels - ( thinking tubs ) -- or I like to play around at crits and thinking the Ksyrium SL could be dual pursose
for crits and climbing - those can be found pretty cheap for a used pair....

Comments?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

There is a wheel section for topics like this one.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

ZIPP 202 good
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

F45

by F45

Friends don't let friends buy Ksyriums.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Friends don't let friends buy zipp either....

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Friends don't let friends buy stock wheels, actually.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Wookski

by Wookski

Get the 202's, cut out the crap hubs and replace with extralites and cx rays and you'll have one of the best climbing wheelsets around!

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I've never ridden the 202.

But I have the 2015 Mavic RSYS.

One thing to add to your thinking is the rim width. The Mavics are 15mm innner and 20mm outer rim width. I think a fair bit narrower than the 202. Personally, I don't like the road feel of narrow rims - especially when out of the saddle and/or running lowish tire pressures. You will find on climbs the front wheel "squishing" when out of the saddle - alternatively you need to remind yourself not to put too much weight over the front wheels. Its not a deal breaker but something I found a little annoying.

I haven't tried some of the new clinchers - but some brands are now coming out with 17mm inner rim widths which I assume will be an improvement over the 15mm. Alternatively, you can consider tubulars - which should be wider/better in road feel.

As for Mavic hubs. I swapped them for CEMA ceramic bearings and they now run super dooper smooth. The original bearings are fairly ordinary.

reknop

by reknop

BugsBunny7788 wrote:I've never ridden the 202.

But I have the 2015 Mavic RSYS.

One thing to add to your thinking is the rim width. The Mavics are 15mm innner and 20mm outer rim width. I think a fair bit narrower than the 202. Personally, I don't like the road feel of narrow rims - especially when out of the saddle and/or running lowish tire pressures. You will find on climbs the front wheel "squishing" when out of the saddle - alternatively you need to remind yourself not to put too much weight over the front wheels. Its not a deal breaker but something I found a little annoying.

I haven't tried some of the new clinchers - but some brands are now coming out with 17mm inner rim widths which I assume will be an improvement over the 15mm. Alternatively, you can consider tubulars - which should be wider/better in road feel.

As for Mavic hubs. I swapped them for CEMA ceramic bearings and they now run super dooper smooth. The original bearings are fairly ordinary.

I'm riding a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLR with a set of 24 mm. Specialized S-works Turbo tires. The road feel is much better compared to the Continental 25 Grand Prix 4000 II, which are wider than 25 mm. I really like the Exalith braking surface.

I have been looking for climbing wheels as well and will probably switch to tubulars. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Interesting feedback on the Spec Turbo tires. I will need to look into them. I currently run Conti GP4000 with Michelin latex tubes. The latex makes it feel much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com