Good advise about Pioneer's power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rOYk

by rOYk

Hi,

I've been using the second version for 8 months now (Dura Ace 9000) and I would like to recommend you all not to buy this PM.

When the PM is working, it's great and super accurate, but they have some bug on the left-hand arm that I can not get rid of, every time I pedal hard, the left side stop working and the only solution is to uninstall the battery and reinstall it.
The American help desk is bad, they told me that the "battery needs to be replaced" "the magnet installation was wrong"...etc

A good friend of mine have the same crank and he have the same issue.
Happy holidays and keep away from this PM

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

rOYk wrote:Hi,

I've been using the second version for 8 months now (Dura Ace 9000) and I would like to recommend you all not to buy this PM.

When the PM is working, it's great and super accurate, but they have some bug on the left-hand arm that I can not get rid of, every time I pedal hard, the left side stop working and the only solution is to uninstall the battery and reinstall it.
The American help desk is bad, they told me that the "battery needs to be replaced" "the magnet installation was wrong"...etc

A good friend of mine have the same crank and he have the same issue.
Happy holidays and keep away from this PM

The problem is actually related to the battery cover, it looks like a minor flaw in the design of it.
You have the SGY-PM910H, when they introduced the new left only/right only option besides updating the firmware they also modified two minor flaws (and a new model SGY-PM910H2):
1) Chainring Adapter that holds the right leg sensor in place when changing chainrings - lots of users managed to harm their sensor (very fragile cable) when changing chainrings. (Part number: SGY-AD910)
2) New battery cover (flat) that fixes the left leg issue and also improve the clearance for some frames. (Part number: SGY-LC910)

There's also a complete "upgrade kit" under Part number: SGY-KT910

But what is the main problem with it? try to get a hold of those parts :)

Their US (Email/Facebook) service is crap (though i managed to RMA my SGX-CA500 through it, they didn't communicate but sent a new unit, i was surprised to find out i have shipment from Pioneer, they also took all the import duties on them self, my country don't have any distributor and i bought it in a different country)
Try their twitter account (not the US one) under the name "pioneercyclo" the guy there usually answers pretty fast.

I own SRM and owned many other Powermeters before, i find the Pioneer one of the best, and same as you, the left leg issue is very annoying (though you can fix it by applying/sticking a tiny sponge on the inside of the battery cover until getting the new battery cover)

And they really need to fix their customer service issues, you can have the best product in the world but if you lack of good customer service skills, you will go down very quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shonanmike

by shonanmike

I have the same unit. Had lots of left side dropouts even with the revised cover. Had to put a bit more foam rubber in to keep the battery from disconnecting.

Otherwise it's a decent unit and quite light.

Firmware update for the pedal sensors is pain but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micky

by micky

I dont use one but know a friend who has it.
I once asked how it was and he basically mentioned the same exact problem; he resolved with a bit of paper inside the cover but he wasnt pleased at all.

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

micky wrote:I dont use one but know a friend who has it.
I once asked how it was and he basically mentioned the same exact problem; he resolved with a bit of paper inside the cover but he wasnt pleased at all.

If he uses the SGX-CA500/900 computer, He can enable a feature that in case one of the sensors disappear it automatically multiply the one that works (and if he's aware of his power different balance he can make it aware of it as well).

Pioneer Europe told me that there's a shipment from Japan with those parts, at the moment i found the perfect solution and is to cut a small thin foam and glue it behind the cover, I also made sure all the terminals are clean, so far I have put about 100 hours without any issues.

I have used my unit since May and logged about 600 hours and 15,000km and i love it.

I do think their customer service must improve, well, improve is a nice word, they really need customer service (it almost doesn't exist).

Quarker

by Quarker

How do I know if I will be getting the "new" or the "old" version of the Power Meter ?

My crankset is right now at Pioneer US for installation and I would ofcause hope I was getting the new version. My model SGY-PM9100C with a serialnumber OCTP031XXXWN.

Do I need the parts mentioned above to be sure I get no problems ?

Thanks

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have two pioneer PMs installed and while I had initial drop outs after a very rainy ride on one of them, swapping out the batteries and installing the new firmware seems to solve the issue. Overall I'm very pleased with it and I also like the SGX-CA500 a lot.
I also ride with the other one in rain and never had any problems.

Quarker wrote:How do I know if I will be getting the "new" or the "old" version of the Power Meter ?

My crankset is right now at Pioneer US for installation and I would ofcause hope I was getting the new version. My model SGY-PM9100C with a serialnumber OCTP031XXXWN.

Do I need the parts mentioned above to be sure I get no problems ?

Thanks

I'd love to see photos of the different battery cover too, but I'd be surprised if they used the old one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com