11 speed Shimano jockey wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT8

by GT8

I need to replace the jockey wheels on my DA9000 rear mech and rather than just go Shimano I'd like to treat myself to something else.

I can't seem to find any aftermarket ones that are 11speed compatible - descriptions only ever say 8-10 speed.

Can these be used or can anyone point me to 11spd ones please?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Try F1, made in the usa if that matters. https://www.f1ceramic.com/F1_Ceramic_Pulleys_s/38.htm

Delorre

by Delorre

Or these, many choises from normal to full ceramic. https://www.tacx.com/en/products/extra/jockey-wheels?lang=en-US

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I tell you, I switched on my 9070 from the standard delrin jockeys to a set of HSC carbon pulleys. https://fairwheelbikes.com/hsc-ceramic- ... -5459.html Not too pricey, around $75USD I believe for non-ceramic (2x more than standard jockeys), and there are some issues at certain times I've run into with them. First, they are louder, that is minor, maybe over time with some wear it will improve.

But, be warned, I've had issues a few times with the chain jumping off the bottom cage jockey and the chain jammed in between the jockey/cage itself on a few occasions.

Not sure why, but I would recommend sticking to a delrin/teflon setup pretty close to the stock and not go for anything too "esoteric", like carbon jockeys. Maybe others have had better success, but in the last 5yrs, until I tried these carbon jockeys, I've lost some confidence of their ability/reliance over a standard jockey by Shimano. I've run these carbon ones for about 700 miles now? Just a guess, only 3-4 months now I would say.

I've always been a bit suspicious of something like a carbon pulley/rings etc when very close tolerance/accuracy come into play. Learned my lesson with a high-end aluminum rear cassette one time that just wouldn't work. The tolerances/machining are so tight and required/designed to work reliably, that not everyone can do that like the manufacturer Shimano/Sram can. Hence why they use what they use for parts.

I would say maybe the HSC Delrin version with ceramic bearing, or the Tacx above mentioned with ceramic, might be an option to try. Maybe others have had no issues with carbon jockeys, but there is definitely something that is different with them that the stock ones never gave me any issues. I've seriously had flawless shifting on the 9070 Di2 stock setup for thousands and thousands of shifts, not once dropped/threw a chain on the front, or any problem with the rear jockeys. Even when doing simultaneous shifting front/rear to RPM match when going from small/front on the big. Hitting the shifters on the front/rear at the same time, I've done a thousand times probably, not one issue with the stock jockeys/setup.

But these carbon HSC ones are sensitive to it and jammed up a few times. Not cool. Again, not sure why exactly, but they must not be exactly designed of course like the stock Shimano Delrin jockeys, to include maybe some slight play/give while shifting as well. Just a guess.

They offer Delrin versions with ceramic bearings for like $35...would probably go with something like taht or the Tacx above for the future.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Kogel

2old4this

by 2old4this

Zigmeister wrote:HSC ones are sensitive to it and jammed up a few times.

One of my bodies says Shimano must have a patent or something on the upper pulley having a little play. Unless the upper pulley is perfectly aligned, he couldn't get good shifting with non-Shimano pulleys (after trying a few brands.)

For years I kept using the stock ones since I was happy with the performance. Until this year, that is. A few months back, I got a good deal on titanium CeramicSpeeds. The set has upper and lower pulleys separate. The shifting feels as good as original Shimanos. They also free spin longer than the original ones. Nonetheless, I still can't tell if they have any advantage. If I find them for $200 again, I'll buy them for the bling factor, but nothing else...

BTW, this is just my opinion and is probably not valid for anyone else...

Benno

by Benno

I agree with the top pulley design having play on oem shimano pulleys. I find they work better than the few after market pulleys I've tried so I just stick with stock now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^Good info for the two posts above. Glad I'm not the only one. I think it is definitely something with the ability to have slight play in the pulley/bearing design that is the issue with the new jockeys.

Maybe over time it will improve with some wear. Otherwise, have to look for something different next change, or go back to stock.