Campagnolo Chorus EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

I have both SR mech and EPS.
Both are superb.
Benefits of EPS are above mentioned....

Worth the extra $$$.... tja... does one need an F8 or a C60 or Trek Madone or a S works???
No... a $1000 bike would have done the trick for all of us...
But we fancy bling and the gadgets...

So for me yes... worth it!

But am I able to ride with Shimano 105? Guess so.
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I have been using EPS shifting this year, Athena EPS and now bits of Chorus which is fully cross-compatible. We hear about the satisfying front shifting but the rear shifting is sensationally good.

Some random observations:
- steering is lighter, especially while off the bike and handling it, without tensioned cable shift outers running from the bars.
- I like the adjustability of EPS and it's all self-contained with use of the buttons and vari-coloured LED indicator.
- the battery lasts forever.

No, you don't need it, but as has been pointed out, what on this forum does anyone actually need? But using EPS is a continually pleasing experience and doubtless that goes for any e-shifting group.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

graeme_f_k, this customer adjust sounds intriguing.
No intention to sound sarcastic with this question, but how does this differ from using the barrel adjuster on a mechanical grouppo to dial in shifting after a wheel change?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It doesn't. Same function, just a different method of getting there. However, most frames these days do not have mechanical barrel adjusters for the rear derailleur in a conveniently reachable position while riding as the derailleur cables enter the frame with cable stops and the only rear derailleur adjustment is at the rear derailleur itself. The only caveat with the electric on the fly adjustment with electric is that it can be one of those things that's not done regularly, and the rider may not remember exactly how to invoke it without consulting the manual. Easy to forget that stuff if you don't use it on a regular basis.
Still, while acknowledging that many love electric shifting, I am not there yet and yes, I've used both EPS and Di2. I'm not a curmudgeon resisting change. I just really prefer the tactile feel of a mechanical system. Plus, my frames are on the larger size and cable routing is always very smooth and my shifting is dialed. I still feel I can "throw it around" much quicker than I can with electric. Front and rear, simultaneously, bang!... I'm in any gear combo almost instantly, quicker than I can get there with electric. And on cold days with heavy gloves or on really rough sections of road a tactile feel is kind of nice rather than having a bit of uncertainty while searching for teensy sensitive buttons.
But for those less mechanically inclined in perfectly setting up their mechanical systems then yes, electric has some great advantages. I don't think aesthetics is one of them however. The front harness and thin flimsy wires always make me cringe when I look at them, in my opinion utterly destroying the simple beauty of one of the finest inventions ever conceived by man. So, on balance, for me at least, I'd still pay a premium for a top shelf mechanical group over an electric group. Just my preference. And I'm glad we have that choice. If either was a slam dunk no-brainer that choice would be long gone by now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Calnago, the adjusting function of EPS allows to make 100% sure that the high adjustment is exactly where you want it to be.

To do the same with mechanical it's not enough to use the barrel adjuster. You'd need to use a screwdriver to trim the high limit screw on the rear mech, hence you'd need to stop and jump off the bike or else be assisted by you mech from the team car.

EPS is superior in two ways:

From a pure physics point of view a steel cable has a young modulus of 210GPa, no matter what. Shifting cables are 1,1 to 1,2mm thick in diameter. They go from the handlebar to the derailleurs. Same for SR and Tiagra. A technological limit.

EPS has the stiffer way of actuating the derailleurs, stiffer than the lever system on Di2, albeit a marginal gain for sure. There's no way a mechanical system can have the shifting power and resolution of EPS. By a large lot.

The second advantage is function. There is a number of things that the the mechanical system simply can't do. EPS V3 is the state of the art of those functions in number and quality. You may prefer a typewriter over a computer to write texts for leisure. But tell you employer you'll do the same at work.

Luckily most of us are in this because we love it and not for the money, and that justifies whatever choice anyone can make. But for a technical point of view EPS is the state of the art of bicycle shifting.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

All good points @XCProMD, especially about adjusting the high limit screw, etc. And yes, with cables and routing comes an inherent higher degree of making sure everything is perfectly adjusted and as friction free as possible. And what "precision"' it lacks over a servo actuated arm or push is made up in, for lack of a better term... "rider involvement". I can to an extent control the force I want to exert on the shift and finesse things a bit for any condition I might come up against. I suppose there's an opposing argument that goes "who cares". Well I guess I just like it that way, so I do. Compare it to controlling the espresso shot you pull manually for the varying conditions of the day including humidity changes, grind, etc versus just pushing the button and watching it pour out, same way, every time. I dunno... I just like the mechanical aspect of things. But I'd do concede that given the tuning of most people's mechanical shifting that I come across they would be far better off with electric. But I'm not one of those people.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

Honestly, I'll probably be more likely to try electronic shifting when campy goes wireless like sram. The lack of wiring, frame mounted batteries, and maybe not having to drill holes in a frame to get a battery into a seat tube is all very appealing.

Worth the extra $$$.... tja... does one need an F8 or a C60 or Trek Madone or a S works???
No... a $1000 bike would have done the trick for all of us...
But we fancy bling and the gadgets...

A $1000 bike would not be very satisfying to me but on the other hand I can't bring myself to spend $8-10k or more on a bike. I also do a lot of bang for the buck analysis. It's why I bought a used C59, ride Chorus instead of Super Record, and have eschewed spendy carbon wheels for their marginal gains. When electronic shifting is improved and a lot cheaper I'll give it a go some day.

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Check out my build thread in my posts as I'm building a Helium SL with a used Chorus EPS groupset (got Record non mechanical parts ie cranks brakes cassette chain)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136547

I had a quick test yesterday up the road in the dark and it seems good, though think front shifting will need dialling as it seems a fine line between not shifting into the big ring or overshifting. In all honesty (to respond to a previous post) Having installed this myself with the internal V2 battery, using an old radio aerial to install the battery into the seat tube, and old gear cables and insulating tape to thread the wiring...it was all so easy and slick that wireless is unnecessary for me provided you've a compatible frame. I modified the BB cover to accept the charging port to mount under the BB, though the V3 would address this!

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Thanks for all the good arguments for and against eps and mechanical, might stick with mechanical for now as i can't see any clear advantage at the moment and as AJS said wait for it to become cheaper.