Cannondale Supersix Evo 2015 (No Hi MOD) review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aido78

by aido78

The reviews/opinions on this forum have been invaluable in my decision to buy a 2015 Supersix Evo (non-Hi MOD). Therefore, I thought I would reciprocate.
FYI, I do around 180-220km a week, 110km which is commuting. I wanted a bike that I could handle commuting, weekend (warrior) rides and using my existing (non-disc) wheelset. I’m 37 years old, 6’2 and 72kg. I’m not a weight weenie and would rather lose 2kg around my waist than spend $2k to reduce it off the bike. This review is of the 56cm frame + fork, not the components.
Visually, the SS Evo doesn’t inspire you with confidence of its stiffness. It has skinny tubes and the BB area has significantly less surface area than most frames these days. Even the rear chain stays are on a diet compared with my Velobuid R-016 (way too flexy). Visual comparisons to Specialized, Trek, BMC and Cervelo give the SS Evo an old school aesthetic; traditional and understated. Not racy or hi-tech.
As for the ride, the most immediate impression the SS Evo makes is one of smoothness and comfort. It is very effective at taking the harshness out of the road. I’m running 23mm tyres with alloy bars/stem, and it still manages to isolate you from the majority of poor road surfaces. To be honest, this smooth/floating feeling was initially a turn off as I wanted a stiff road bike and I assumed a harsh ride equated with frame stiffness. It is unusual that comfort would be the most prominent characteristic of an out and out race bike.
However, the SS Evo aesthetics and comfort only masks the frame’s stiffness. If you stand next to the bike, engage the brakes and push down on the cranks, there isn’t much in the way of BB flex. When climbing the SS Evo is very efficient. It favours climbing in the saddle rather than standing, however this could be my 1775g Campy Scirocco 35’s showing their weight. I’d love to push the limits of this frame with a pair of decent wheels. I haven’t noticed any wheel rub on either the chain stays or brake pads when pushing hard. On decents the bikes handles predictively and tracks through corners well. I’m sure it would handle like a F1 car if I was to remove some spacers and slam the stem. The SS Evo accelerates well enough but the response is a little muted due to my heaving wheelset. Again, a lighter wheelset would make this frame come alive.
Overall, the SS Evo is a testament to the “form follows function” principle. There are no superfluous curves or novelty additions (Eg, Trek isospeed or Specialized Zertz) and it provides a great platform for later upgrades.
I can’t speak for the hi-MOD versions, but my understanding is they are equally stiff but between 100-200g lighter. I still really like the Cervelo R2, Cervelo S2 and BMC team machine, but I couldn’t buy them within my budget. I was particularly taken with the Cervelo S2 but it’s a little impractical for commuting and god knows how you would attach a rear light to that aero seat post. Cannondale’s lifetime frame and fork warranty helped sway me over the equally impressive Scott and Focus bikes.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Nice review...

I like mine so much I am looking at buying another one, set up differently
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

Recently bought a 2015 Hi-Mod myself in 58cm (even though I am slightly shorter than you at 6ft1). I do have a pair of lightweight climbing wheels and this is very rewarding when climbing out of the saddle. Have also slammed the stem and descending is very confidence inspiring. Personally, I prefer the traditional design of this bike over something with sloping top tube.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

skinny tubes were the first way bikes were made to be aero. Steel bikes have used this 'trick' for years. Trick isn't probably the best word, maybe technique.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels