need a recommendation on a steel frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

The Colnago Master design is around 30 years old. And it's a traditional 1 inch tubing steel frame. Traditional 1 inch steel frames aren't so different. The difference is which kind of tubing is used, which kind of lugs and how it's put together. But the possibilities are very limited.

I've ridden and raced a 1988 Columbus SLX tubed frame possibly a F. Moser. It's fine and it looked good, but it's nothing like modern carbon frames regarding performance. Steel is very comfortable compared to aluminum though. What exactly do you want to achieve with a steel frame?

If you want a headturner, and get chatted up by strangers, then steel is the right thing. If you want pure performance, then it's not.

mjduct

by mjduct

I've got a cervelo R5 with super record and some weenie parts that weighs in a sub 12 lbs... I've got performance.

I also have a Ti Salsa Colossal with Campy Chorus, disk brakes and I run 28mm tires on there for a foul weather bike...

I'm looking for something different than those 2, and head turning would be a nice side effect =]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nahtnoj

by nahtnoj

IF Factory Lightweight.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

benzebub wrote:comfort (imo) comes a lot from tire pressure and width and wheels, frame material plays a role but not the biggest.
I have a TIG welded steel frame and it is comfortable, but if I put 8 bar in my tyres it is still quite harsh.
!

This mirrors my experience. My 1978 Masi Gran Crit became significantly more comfortable when I traded the Campy NR low flange hubs for Phil Wood hubs 3-cross laced to Mavic Matrix rims. The ride became buttery and more predictable on washboard (and we have lots of washboard, unfortunately). No reduction in road feel or snap of the rear triangle, which is legendarily responsive. If your ride is harsh, consider replacing the wheelset and tires. 25s are smoother than 22 or 23s.

Multebear

by Multebear

mjduct wrote:
I'm looking for something different than those 2

All steel frames are different than those two. You don't give us a lot to go on. I'd say first of all you need to choose between modern or traditional steel frames.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

A good example for a modern steel frame is the M∆SON Resolution. Have a quick Google, you'll find some rather glowing reviews. I've not ridden it myself, but if it's anything like the M∆SON Definition I have it's certain to be a brilliant frame.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm very pleased with my Colnago C-59 but would not go with an italian frame that seems to want to pay homage to what was done in the 80's or 90's. I'm also a little bewildered by the love for Colnago steel frames, many of which were made not in Italy but Mexico. Also the color schemes seemed a bit over the top. I'd suggest looking at a steel frame made by a modern American builder such as Kelly Bedford or Carl Strong. Bixxis looks interesting, modern steel frame and a threaded bottom bracket and De Rosa.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

michel2

by michel2

if my colnago needed to be replaced, it would be with this one :
http://www.stelbel.it/en/prodotto/sb03-en/

mind you i say this with out ever ridden one of those puppies but my gwad do they look pretty and i roughly estimate them to cost half the price of a colnago !dont get me wrong i love my colnago to bits its easily one of the best bikes i ever had, and idealy i would have a master in say ad10 as wel, love that colour sceme, love the straight tapered fork but the money there so bloody expensive.
i understand everybody can claim all kinds of fame on the interweb but i really like the stelbel ! check it out

karmaz

by karmaz

michel2 wrote:if my colnago needed to be replaced, it would be with this one :
http://www.stelbel.it/en/prodotto/sb03-en/

mind you i say this with out ever ridden one of those puppies but my gwad do they look pretty and i roughly estimate them to cost half the price of a colnago !dont get me wrong i love my colnago to bits its easily one of the best bikes i ever had, and idealy i would have a master in say ad10 as wel, love that colour sceme, love the straight tapered fork but the money there so bloody expensive.
i understand everybody can claim all kinds of fame on the interweb but i really like the stelbel ! check it out

Holy shit, that Nina cross/gravel! Now I know what to buy for next season, thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cinelli have some nice offerings. I love riding my 24 year old Sannino.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I agree Stelbel is looking like my next bike in a few years time...or another Tommasini...

ImageImage

Grill

by Grill

Ritchey Road Logic is the best bang for you buck you can get off the peg. If you have the time and money for something really special then English, Feather, Demon, or Stinner are worth a look.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Dave Kirk....check out his stuff, amazing craftsmanship, and lots of different options for tubing/style.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Condor Acciaio Stainless. I rest my case. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euan

by euan

Wasn't that bike a one off made for a member of staff?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com