need a recommendation on a steel frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjduct

by mjduct

So, I've been tempted by the Colnago Master recently... I'm about 5'6" 150lbs (and dropping) and I'm looking for a cafe cruiser/ sunday funday bike. In reading the reviews, alot fo folks who like the colnago master are significantly heavier than I am (180-200lbs) and folks in my size range say that it rides pretty harsh.

What are your experiences, and if this bike is going to be a rough ride, what other manufacturers would you recommend for a steel frame? (preferably lugged) I would prefer not to go custom, but if I do i will probably keep it simple and go with a waterford or some other big brand. I don't like to wait for years on things =]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

comfort (imo) comes a lot from tire pressure and width and wheels, frame material plays a role but not the biggest.
I have a TIG welded steel frame and it is comfortable, but if I put 8 bar in my tyres it is still quite harsh.

word of warning: be prepared to promote the bike from sunday funday bike to full time ride, a steel frame that is constructed right has all the good qualities a race bike must have. Besides, it's such a shame for a beautiful frame like a Colnago master to only be ridden on cafe rides!
But I could be wrong

c50jim

by c50jim

I am a bit bigger than you (about 180 when I had a Master) but think you're worrying unnecessarily about its ride. Steel bikes are generally well known for their god ride quality. I'd agree in most cases, although my Pegoretti Responsorium was a bit stiff for my taste. I had no problems with Master or Tecnos. If you're a bit concerned about ride quality, put less air in the tires. With the new wider rims (I use Velocity A23), I run 90 pounds front and rear with no pinch flat problems. You could probably go to 90 with old style rims and even lower with the wider ones. I also thought the ride was a bit better with carbon forks than the steel Precisa (and the bike was about a pound lighter) but it may be tough to find a new Master with a carbon fork.

As the current owner of seven Colnagos (I've had 14 in all and a couple are spare C40s so I can still ride a C40 when the current ones wear out), I can't say enough positive things about handling and performance for an old guy (65 next week) who rides 12,000 km/yr. I've owned many high level bikes over the last 20 years and keep coming back to Colnago because I love the feel. What more can you ask for in a funday bike?

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

It's hard not to recommend the Master. I vary 175-180lb and love mine. Superb handling, stable yet responsive. I've ridden mine on century rides with no issue in comfort, quality steel like this just works.

I also have a Pegoretti Duende (most comfortable bike I own) and a Responsorium. Both of these are a little stiffer under power while at the same time the most comfortable. How much of this is the subtle tweaks in geometry giving a subtly better fit is hard to tell, but until riding the Pegs I never felt the Master was lacking in stiffness or comfort either. It's just that the Pegs have spoilt me so the Master is now my everyday/commute bike.
For what it's worth, my Master came with the carbon fork (flash) but it now has the Precisa steel fork which (to me) gives a slightly better and more balanced ride. Just goes to show, everybody has a different opinion on what feels best to them, but also agree tyre/rim/tube/pressure choice will make the most overall difference.

kgt

by kgt

Master is stiffer and less comfortable than most traditional steel frames but it is a great one.
If comfort is your main priority then look for a NOS Columbus SL tubing frame or something similar.

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Let me put my two cents I ride a tecnos and I'm 5'9" with 190 pounds, this is the best bike I have ever ride by far, I have a several bikes and like the others said I always come back to Colnago due to the quality of ride, handling, conform and unique style, be prepare on Sunday's ride to be the center of the attention of the rest of the guys ride on carbon frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

My current Colnago tecnos Image

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

If you build it right you would enjoy a nice ride no matter if you race, go for a spin, do a century, criterium or a cafe Sunday group...!!

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

mjduct

by mjduct

WOW thank you Nekkoss thats a very respectable build for a steel frame coming in under 15 lbs.

Google showed me the new limited edition Arabesque.... I might be screwed financially fora long time:

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I ride a Master and a Jaegher and both are awesome. But the Jaegher is really something special.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com