TOUR MAG AERO TEST 2016

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Why do they even make traditional road bikes now. Aero bikes can be made under the weight limit no? Are they scared to make all the bikes fully aero in case they lose some customers as the market isn't ready for reality yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LetsRide

by LetsRide

Perhaps, it's about marketing strategy. Dividing aero bikes and light climbing bike could sell more bikes than combining into one I guess. To make Tarmac more aero could hurt Venge's sales or to make Venge lighter could also hurt Tarmac's sales.

The old S-Works Venge, from Tour Mag test : Frame + fork = 1700 g, BB = 55 N/mm seems not fitting in the category of light climbing bike IMHO.

Btw, from http://bikecalculator.com/index.html. 6.8kg bike vs 7.7 kg bike climbing 8% grade at speed 15 kph, power difference is only 4 watts. Not sure if this is close to reality.

Next year, Contador is gonna move to Trek Segafredo. Anyone wishing he is not gonna race with Madone 9 next year ?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LetsRide wrote:Next year, Contador is gonna move to Trek Segafredo. Anyone wishing he is not gonna race with Madone 9 next year ?

"wishing"? I suspect he'll be on an Emonda the majority of the time simply because he will prefer it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sun

by sun

Have there been any tests on stem angles? I'm currently running a -6 degree stem and the newer aero bikes seem to have the -17 stem. Any idea how much of a difference this makes? I realize fit is more important, but I wanted to get an idea on what this looks like. Specialized seems to make a big deal on this and was willing to make riser handlebars to achieve that goal.

RyanH

by RyanH

@sun

Going from a 6* to a 17* will be a little over 2cm. From my tests, a 1cm change in drop made a notable difference. There's of course a limit on that. I don't think riser handlebars accomplish that. They just allow you to possibly have a slammed stem with a higher position. Could be wrong but that's my initial reaction.

fa63

by fa63

LetsRide wrote:Perhaps, it's about marketing strategy. Dividing aero bikes and light climbing bike could sell more bikes than combining into one I guess. To make Tarmac more aero could hurt Venge's sales or to make Venge lighter could also hurt Tarmac's sales.

Bingo. Specialized/Trek etc. would much rather have us own multiple bikes. A Tarmac for the climbing days, a Venge for flat/rolling rides and a Roubaix for those rides on bad surfaces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

kgt wrote:
spartan wrote:watch the f** video. 1989 final tt. one guy embraces silly tri bars to win the greatest tdf ever. the other does not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvwtOQYQ-E

In terms of the front wheel (where aero matters) one can see that the winner rides a traditional box rim-round spokes wheel while ' le professeur' is on a disc wheel. So, is a box rim front wheel more aero thatn a disc?...

If Lemond had had aero wheels, he would have won that Tour by 9 or 10 seconds instead of 8. If Fignon had wore an aero helmet he may have won. Had he used aero bars, he certainly would have won.

kgt

by kgt

A more aero position on the bike would certainly help, no doubt about that.
It is interesting to note though that according to Fignon, Le Mond's bike was against the rules:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/ ... reg-lemond
Anyway this thread is not about tt bikes.

Marin

by Marin

RyanH wrote:
Going from a 6* to a 17* will be a little over 2cm. From my tests, a 1cm change in drop made a notable difference. There's of course a limit on that. I don't think riser handlebars accomplish that. They just allow you to possibly have a slammed stem with a higher position. Could be wrong but that's my initial reaction.

Or, you could bend your elbows. It's not all about the gear.

If you're so low that your forehead is hitting your stem a -17° will help though
Last edited by Marin on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

fa63 wrote:Specialized/Trek etc. would much rather have us own multiple bikes. A Tarmac for the climbing days, a Venge for flat/rolling rides and a Roubaix for those rides on bad surfaces...

That's why we won't ever see a true do-it-all bike from the larger manufacturers.

They don't want to cannibalize their sales by offering a light bike with decent tire clearance and the option for an aero rider position. Which is why I'm building my own :)

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Marin wrote:
fa63 wrote:Specialized/Trek etc. would much rather have us own multiple bikes. A Tarmac for the climbing days, a Venge for flat/rolling rides and a Roubaix for those rides on bad surfaces...

That's why we won't ever see a true do-it-all bike from the larger manufacturers.

They don't want to cannibalize their sales by offering a light bike with decent tire clearance and the option for an aero rider position. Which is why I'm building my own :)

Cannondale seems to insist that the Evo offers all the aero advantages needed, while still being lightweight. Granted, that's probably just all marketing, but it's interesting that they have yet to introduce a specific aero bike.

sun

by sun

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't talking about lowweing the position so much as going to a more negative stem and adding spacers to account for the lower stack height. It seems as though manufacturers are recommending this as its more aero than no spacers and a -6 stem.

RyanH wrote:@sun

fa63

by fa63

topflightpro wrote:Cannondale seems to insist that the Evo offers all the aero advantages needed, while still being lightweight. Granted, that's probably just all marketing, but it's interesting that they have yet to introduce a specific aero bike.

I imagine they are working on one right now, with Damon Rinard now being there :)

djconnel

by djconnel

AJS914 wrote:If Lemond had had aero wheels, he would have won that Tour by 9 or 10 seconds instead of 8. If Fignon had wore an aero helmet he may have won. Had he used aero bars, he certainly would have won.

Aero wheels are a MUCH bigger effect than this.

Random result, from November bicycles, found with the Google:

Marin

by Marin

AJS914 wrote:If Fignon had wore an aero helmet he may have won.

Fignon didn't wear a helmet, so any helmet would have made him slower. Aero glasses - maybe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com