TOUR MAG AERO TEST 2016

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Like I said kgt, fallacious arguments abound :thumbup:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority (I think this is about my 5th time linking this for you, I suggest you actually read it this time)

You haven't shown any evidence that pros aren't subject to making less than ideal equipment choices. You showed it yourself, Lemond got some things right, but obviously not everything. We've linked videos showing that they don't know their tire pressure, they don't know their bike weight, Silca's blog clearly details that riders and teams aren't necessarily optimizing everything, etc.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm curious, has anyone actually asked Contador, Nibali, why they don't ride Venge's? The old one's been around for over 5 years now, and the new one is supposedly super aero. So why aren't they riding them?
They are prime candidates, as average Tour speeds are 45km/h+, and even if they spend all day in the bunch there is still energy to be saved.
And these guys climb* at 25km/h what most of us climb at 15km/h, so some useful aero savings to to be had there too surely?
Given that Contador would give his right nut to steal 10 seconds from Froome, I genuinely wonder why they he hasn't gone aero...?

*often not in a group

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

According to BeeSeeBee because they cannot understand aerodynamics. :lol:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

More likely that the new venge has crap brakes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

arthurf

by arthurf

sawyer

by sawyer

Wow lightweights!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

arthurf wrote:Image

Well yeah, obviously he's BEEN on one, but personally, I've never seen him race on one...?

Or at least, he certainly doesn't make a habit of it.

kgt

by kgt

I don't see a racing number plate on this photo, he is not even wearing gloves. I guess that was his one and only testing ride on the ViAS before rejecting it...

Shrike

by Shrike

That pic is from the #followcontador cycling competition video (which ends today).

http://www.followcontador.com

Any chance of Tour aero testing the XR4 shortly? Love to see how it stacks up v Cervelo etc.

LetsRide

by LetsRide

Obviously, ViAS is too heavy to be all around bike for all stages unlike F8 or Madone 9.

If I were a GC rider who mostly has someone to shield wind from, should I care much to save additional 10-15 watts, or 3-4% of FTP, when drafting ? I wouldn't care much.

Btw, some pro riders in Team Sky, Team Dimension Data, Team Katusha, Trek Segafredo, Orica BikeExchange rode aero bikes almost all stages. Aren't they worth mentioning ? Is anyone feeling more secure when pros are not choosing aero bikes ?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

LetsRide wrote:Obviously, ViAS is too heavy to be all around bike for all stages unlike F8 or Madone 9.

If I were a GC rider who mostly has someone to shield wind from, should I care much to save additional 10-15 watts, or 3-4% of FTP, when drafting ? I wouldn't care much.

Btw, some pro riders in Team Sky, Team Dimension Data, Team Katusha, Trek Segafredo, Orica BikeExchange rode aero bikes almost all stages. Aren't they worth mentioning ? Is anyone feeling more secure when pros are not choosing aero bikes ?

I'm sure a Vias could be built to the 6.8kg legal limit if you tried hard enough, (1100g tubs, some Schmolke and AX here and there!).

The old Venge was almost exactly the same weight as the Tarmac anyway, and still hardly anyone chose it.

If I was in GC contention (Top 10), I would be looking for every watt, every second I could, wouldn't you? Often, only a few seconds separate 3rd from 4th or 5th from 6th. Apart from the kudos, there is quite a bit of cash prize difference there too.

And yes, we are seeing more aero bikes in the pro peloton, which just makes it that more difficult to understand why someone like Contador (and others) would still choose not to ride one?

emcardle

by emcardle

This is such a train wreck of a thread.

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

Ah well, that's how every aero thread goes.
People show a ton of objective data in favor of aero, and then kgt shows up and says "Nibali and Contador are on a Tarmac so aero is not faster..."
Who cares.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

knukkeltje wrote:Ah well, that's how every aero thread goes.
People show a ton of objective data in favor of aero, and then kgt shows up and says "Nibali and Contador are on a Tarmac so aero is not faster..."
Who cares.

Made me laugh!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

knukkeltje wrote:Ah well, that's how every aero thread goes.
Who cares.

As an old time (15 years +) weightweenie, I'm now a fully paid up aeroweenie too; I've aeroed myself and my bike as much as I reasonably can without changing the frame, which I love.

But I'd still love to have the answer to that question about the Tarmac in pro races.