Ride Quality Zipp 303 v Bora 35 v Enve 3.4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

I've put in a bunch of time on Bora Ultra 35s and Zipp 303s, both in tubular. I've ridden the Zipps both with Zipp hubs and White Industry hubs.

One notable difference between the two wheels is the ride quality. The Boras feel "softer" in that they smooth out road imperfections more. At the same time, incidentally, I don't get nearly the amount of brake track rub while climbing with the Boras that I get with Zipps - even with the White Industry hubs. This has all been done on Veloflex Carbons.

I've been contemplating a pair of 3.4 or 4.5 Enves and am wondering how they compare in ride quality / feel to the Zipps or Boras - in tubular. Has anyone noticed if the Enve are more or less harsh than the Zipps? Boras?

In San Francisco and the surrounding areas, our roads are pretty crap, so makes a big difference in comfort.

Thanks!

ps - I know there are constant threads comparing these wheels. But I've never actually seen one chat about the suppleness of the ride. Just stiffness, which, subjectively I'd give a nod to the Boras on as they have much less brake track rub. But I'm no expert.

mimason

by mimason

You have some killer wheels already. I doubt the ENVEs would be noticeably better. You've optimized the Zipps by using T11s and the Bora Ultras are very stiff stock. I don't have ride experience on the tubs but the stiffer feel you get from the Zipps is probably radial stiffness due to taller profile rims. I'd bet the Boras are just as stiff or stiffer laterally due to a much wider hub flange. The brake rub is more likely your frame flex and not the wheels or maybe you run the pads close to the rims(zipps are wider than Bora too).

I say you get the ENVEs and do a nice shoot out. Too bad you don't have the Bora 50s as those would be a better comparison to the 303s and 4.5s.

What tires are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

I don't think the rubbing difference is frame flex. I run both with about the same amount of spacing between the pads and the rim (I do a pretty thorough adjustment of the pads when I switch wheels). I've also tested both across multiple frames.

All of this is done on Veloflex Carbon tires. I've tried Vittoria Corsa (puncture more on SF roads) and Competitions (ride quality not quite as good).

You might be right that it is the deeper rim profile of the 303 v the Bora 35. I've been contemplating getting the 50s since I like the 35s so much. I'd have the answer to that one very quickly. But then... Always wanted to try Enves. Hence the question. But in all cases would wait on purchasing the Enves until the new 2.2 brake track is put on the 4.5.

mimason

by mimason

Missed that about your tires. Thanks

lannes

by lannes

If your not already doing so ride 25mm tubs, these make all wheels supple.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Junior7

by Junior7

Which tires do you use?