Build Etiquette Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I just took ownership of a 2015 Colnago C60 size 48 sloping. The color is the new limited edition color PLGL (GOLD). Unfortunately, the right rear mainstay has the standard black cable stop for the rear derailor cable. My original plan was to build the bike with electronic shifting but now wonder if the empty black rear cable stop and empty cable ports on the down tube may look a little hokey?????? What do you guys think?

P.S. I got a really good deal on the frame so I did not have the option to order a "Di2 only" frameset.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I didn't think you could even get mechanical vs electric specific anymore, but maybe with a special order. Indeed it looks a lot better if you have one or the other and build accordingly so you don't have all the redundant holes that you have to plug up. But there are plugs available for the holes you wouldn't be using. Also, I believe that derailleur cable stop on the rear chainstay simply is a screw on item now (at least it was on the later C59's) that you can just remove if you're going electric. Shouldn't be that much of problem. Most frames these days are either/or so you always have some unsightly unused holes in your frame no matter which you choose. I'd just go mechanical if I were you. Personally, I think all the flimsy wires and harness under the stem for electric looks hokier than a couple of plugged up derailleur cable holes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

showdown

by showdown

My 2015 C60 had removable cable stops. I think I used a #2 hex wrench to remove the screw that holds the aluminum stop to the frame. Take a look, I'd bet that yours are also removable.