Need advice on wife's dream build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

modman

by modman

Long time lurker, first time poster! :beerchug:

We're taking a good chuck of my work's year-end bonus to build my wife her dream bike; she certainly deserves it (especially because she puts up with me!). She test rode a decent amount of bikes and settled on a Supsersix. She's barely 153cm tall (5'0") and the 44cm frame will fit great.

I'm doing a frame-up build. I snagged a Supersix EVO Black Inc frameset in her size and it's being delivered this weekend. She's currently riding 10 speed SRAM Red, so I've been sourcing Red 22 parts for the build for the past few weeks. Expected use is 100-200 training miles per week, her endurance frame for the longer weekend rides.

I could use some advice on is what other components would look/work best for the build. I think we've decided on a Power2Max Rotor 3D+ crankset with Praxis rings (she's currently on their Gossamer crank and Praxis). Considered the SISL, but wow it it pricey, especially so considering the need for a power meter. Haven't decided on a seat post, stem, or cockpit. Have been toying with a 3T set, but also was eyeing thomson for the post. I have been working with a reputable wheelbuilder re: a wheelset, not sure if I should discuss that here or in the Wheels forum.

Any/all advice welcomed on the build! Will post pics/weights as parts arrive.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

3T don't make any really short reach bars. Better to look at Zipp SL70 or Profile DRiVe 105.
Arundel sideloader cages in Matte Black...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

modman

by modman

Thanks, cyclenutnz. Didn't know about the Profile bars, will definitely look into those. I like the Arundel cages, too, but wonder if they they make them in both right/left versions like the Lezyne ones. I'll have to check.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

It's her dream bike. What does she say? I understand the difficulties with fitting a short wife. My wife is just under 5' and rides a 44cm Ruby. Your lucky she fits on the Cannondale. She tried a few of them but couldn't get a short enough top tube. Edit - Just noticed that they now have a less than 50cm top tube. Wow! That's short. My wives Ruby is a couple mm's longer. I may have to get her out test riding again.

We found a 36cm handlebar that greatly improved her comfort. I can't remember the brand and all distinguishing marks are covered up at the moment. 3T goes down to 38 which might be narrow enough for your wife.

Has she tried Shimano? My wife couldn't get comfortable with the shifting on the Sram (I think it needed more twisting of the wrists) so I switched to Ultegra. Seems a little easier to work with small hands.

Does she need a short crankset too? My wife was using 165 on an older bike but was fit for 170's. Not sure if it really fits better or that's all they had.

Nice thing about being small is that they can ride just about any lightweight wheel. Does she want aero or super light? My wife has 50mm Boyds and she has never complained about crosswinds. I've got some Farsports 58mm rims on my one of my bike and they require a bit more attention in heavy winds.

Good luck with the build!

Bluechip

by Bluechip

About bottle cages. We tried the side loaders but they required so much grip strength to get in and out. She went with a single regular cage. Two 500ml bottles just barely fit on the bike but the seat tube bottle rubbed the top tube.

modman

by modman

Thanks a lot, blue. For cages, she's currently using Ibera side cages which she like a lot. Your wife might like them, too--they are pretty easy to remove/insert the bottle, and are pretty inexpensive. I will revert to those if nothing else looks better.

44cm Ruby or Synapse fits her well, too. You're right -- the 44cm Supersix has toptube of under 50cm, less than the 44cm Ruby! Incredible. Only downside might be that the trail is decently large on the Supersix--didnt' seem to bother my wife on the test ride.

38 bars should fit her just fine, and if I recall correctly she's on 40's now. I will re-measure and re-assess.

My wife did try Shimano, but ultimately picked SRAM years ago and has been riding it ever since. Her levers have the reach adjust (like Shimano's wedges, but SRAM's are done via screw) that get the levers within comfortable reach.

We do need a crankset, and like your wife, mine was sold a 170 on her current bike (but only because I don't think they had 165s or smaller in stock). She's never tried anything less than 170, and since she has never complained (no knee/hip pain ever!) she might just stay at 170 (especially for any possible resale later). Her inseam (70cm) suggests 160/165 might be better, though. Any thoughts?

For wheels, of course she wants the lightest/most aero wheel we can get. :lol: We have been considering HED C2s, H Plus Son Archetypes, or Pacenti SL23s on I9 hubs. She has always had trouble with crosswinds (some of our routes have nasty gusts) so she wants a shallow rim.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

modman wrote:Thanks, cyclenutnz. Didn't know about the Profile bars, will definitely look into those. I like the Arundel cages, too, but wonder if they they make them in both right/left versions like the Lezyne ones. I'll have to check.

They do make them in right/left versions. "Sideloader" and "Other Sideloader"

modman

by modman

hornedfrog wrote:"Other Sideloader"

Fantastic! Thank you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

zipp contour slss bar in 38cm is pretty nice, my wife is 5' and rides a 47cm Madone6. Stem is a bontrager XXX 75mm
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

maxxevv

by maxxevv

cyclenutnz wrote:3T don't make any really short reach bars. Better to look at Zipp SL70 or Profile DRiVe 105.
Arundel sideloader cages in Matte Black...

The shortest 3T ones seem to have a 80mm and 85mm reach.

The shortest I've come across was a Profile design one that has a 70mm reach, the Canta SS.
Deda has a Superzero in 75mm reach too.

That being said, different manufacturers have different ways of measuring reach, so the measurements cannot be taken as being directly interchangeable between different makes.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

try to get something with similar bend

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Contr ... er-p42237/

38cm, but I bet it's a bit narrower at the levers, and it has very short reach. Albeit, a bit bulky.

see their homepage:

http://www.controltechbikes.com/roadhb_ ... hp?sid=184

other bars do come in 36cm cc measurement as well :) Pretty comfy

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Whatever you do, go light.

At her height, she will appreciate every 50 grams saved. Also, you can choose the lightest components without fear of breaking.

glepore

by glepore

Kalloy Uno stem. Just used one on my Evo. Light and cheap, lots of lengths and either 6 or 17. I like the logos, but they'll come off easily. Right around 100g for 30 bucks.

Went with an easton post for mine, tuned with some ebay clamps and cradle. Kept it carbon for the ride, but needed zero offset so somewhat limited options.

Black ee brakes?

I like my 50mm deep wheels but they sure are heavy, unless she's going full aero I'd go with a lighter option.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Tomstr

by Tomstr

glepore wrote:Went with an easton post for mine, tuned with some ebay clamps and cradle. Kept it carbon for the ride, but needed zero offset so somewhat limited options.

Interesting, do you have more info on this?

I'm definately following this thread, I'm building up a Liv Envie for a similar reason soon. :)
Ride it like you stole it

c50jim

by c50jim

Interesting thread. I'd say it's too bad you're so far along with the project. My wife has three bikes now. The first two I kitted out for her based on what I thought she wanted. Both are fine and she rides them regularly (one at home, the other at our mountain place). The third, the travel bike that she loves and rides the most, was a completely different idea. I put her in touch with the best guy at my LBS. He fitted her out with what SHE wanted. My only input was wheels. John asked me what to do there and I said Dura Ace C24, why not go with the best (I'm a Campy guy so this was a stretch for me)?

If you can, I'd really suggest you get someone else that's reliable in the process rather than being responsible for everything about the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com