Campa Eurus friction

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomace

by Tomace

Hi there,

I just bought a Campa Eurus Wheelset. Or better wheels just arrived.

I took them out of the bags and just rotated them while holding them in my hands. First of all, I was a bit surprised since the wheels didn't spin "forever". On the second hand I could "feel" the bearings in my fingertips/hands from time to time. Since this impression includes the front and rear wheel and both wheels were tested by different personal I guess this isn't something which happened by accident.

It's not that they would stop really quickly, but I expected that they would spin for a much longer time. Can anybody confirm this behavior or did have a similar experience?

Should I have bought the Fulcrum Racing Zeros? They weren't so much more expensive. But since some persons on forums recommended to go with steal bearings I decided to get the Campas, also because of the G3 pattern which I like quite a lot.

Cheers
Tom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The hubs are not all that different between Fulcrum and Campy as they are both Campy companies.

New Campy wheels and components have tight tolerances and will take some time to settle in, however with those wheels you may need to fine tune the compression on the bearings. Check the Campy site and wheel owner's manual and reset both the front and back hubs preset and report back to us on any success.

I will note that my last pair of Shamals were quite tight but after a quick 5 min. reset (only need one small allen wrench to do it) they were spinning much more freely and have been faithful for three years since.

(But nothing spins like the old Record 8 speed hubs - I can spin those, go drink two beers and return to a wheel still rotating at a low rpm.)

Enjoy those Euros wheels, you made a good choice.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

In general there is a misconception that a good wheel should turn for a very long time when not under load. This is wrong, I think in your case it is more likely that this just happens because the grease is new - and in any case this should not "slow you down" while riding. If in doubt I would first show it to your LBS before starting to change settings.

Tomace

by Tomace

Thanks for all the answers!

I just called Campa Germany and the technician told me that in order to straigthen the wheels the bearings would be tightened.

So, to use the wheels it seems that you need to adjust the bearing tension by yourself. I expected "Plug and Play" though.

Wired that the tension doesn't get adjusted after all the straightening. Hopefully this won't be too difficult to adjust by myself.

Cheers
Tom

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Hopefully someone else more knowlegeable than me can chime in on this, but set the preload while the wheel is mounted in the frame. That way any increase in tension fron the QRs, is factored in.

Devon

by Devon

"Campagnolo wears in, it doesn't wear out"

Give them a week. Newly greased bearings can appear slightly more resistive, because the grease hasn't bedded in fully.

Miller

by Miller

New bearings, new grease, yes it may feel a little tight to your fingers. You will notice absolutely none of this while riding.

MJB

by MJB

I agree with much of the above. Unless the pre-load bearings are way out of set (which is highly unlikely direct from the factory) you are best to fit the wheels ride them and see if you think they are resisting after a few rides.

Eurus = best clincher wheel set I've ridden.

Devon

by Devon

If the bearings were out of set, they probably wouldn't even turn smoothly. If they are spinning freely, then they just need a few kms to bed in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomace

by Tomace

Thanks so much! Just threw away the transport box. Wheels will stay with me. : )