Campagnolo Chainring compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carpetrunner

by carpetrunner

Hi There,

I have some very nice 2009 11sp record compact cranks. I think these are model FC9 with FC-SR034/FC-SR050 chainrings - they have the traditional 2 piece torx chainring bolts. These chainrings are long obsolete and I need a new 50T.

I know that the newer cranks have chainring bolts that screw into the inner chainring (34T) - but does that change the outer (50T)?

Can I use the newer "evo" FC-Co050 50T chainring on my cranks? It looks pretty much the same except for the
"EVO" lettering.

thanks guys...
- carpetrunner

carpetrunner

by carpetrunner

Just in case anyone was wondering, here's the answer to my question;

In 2011 Campagnolo ditched the classic 2 piece chainring bolts. The 2011 to 2015 chainsets have a threaded inner ring into which the chainring bolt screws. The big difference is that a step in the diameter of the 4 chainring bolts was removed and the diameter of the hole in the 5th pedal arm bolt changed. The profile of holes in the chainrings match the newer bolts, the cranks themselves did not change. The machining of ramps and pins on the 50T is pretty much the same, only 2 small indentations pressed into the ring a few teeth before a ramp pin.

Out of the box - no they are not compatible.

With a little bit of metalworking you can make an EVO ring fit the old chainring bolts;
- drill out pedal arm chainring hole to 10mm and you can either live with the chainring bolts sitting 1mm proud or drill out the other chainring bolts holes to 10mm,
or, if you are really good you could machine down the step in the chainring bolt or if you are really lucky find another chainring bolt that fits in your spares bin.

...a not quite engineering drawing may / may not show the difference;

I have found a nearly unused second hand set of 2014 EVO rings - ran them this morning - all good - a quiet drivetrain with snappy front ring changes...
- Carpetrunner

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Your pic is not working because you link to an attachment on another forum where you need to be logged in to see it.
To make your picture visible you need to upload it to an imagehost first.

stormur

by stormur

Miche Super 11 is your answer . With one "but" : bolts- Campagnolo are bit to long for two Miche chainrings, but OK for 1 Miche and 1 Campagnolo.

I had Miche on Campy crank, and also on Rotor 3d24 ( it fit :) - special 5th hole design, so it fit any 110BCD 5 arm cranks :) . VERY nice shifting. Not smooth as Shimano, more "brutal" - what accurate under any conditions ( mud, sand, ice, snow ). And waay cheaper than Campy .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

kervelo

by kervelo

Another chainring option for Campy is TA Specialites. They have quite nice tool on their page for selecting the correct rings.
http://specialites-ta.com/

stormur

by stormur

TA shifting is not even close to "shifting" ;) . But seriously, it's huge downgrade ... I would place TA chainrings shifting below even Veloce. And colleague of mine (25y on Campagnolo) has exactly same impression. But in case to have something or nothing at all- there's some solution, agree.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

kervelo

by kervelo

Thanks for the info. It seems reading the miscellaneous user comments does not always give the full picture. I have no personal experience of anything else than Campy original chainrings. However, I have been planning to replace the rings of my winter bike and that is when I came to know the TA brand web site.

I guess I will stick with Campy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I installed a new version Record rings on an older ultra torque Veloce crank with zero issues. As long as you have both rings and bolts it will be fine.