SRAM Red Crank Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

notquiterite

by notquiterite

Hi guys, I have been trying to find a definite answer to my question but have been finding conflicting information. I have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon with the BB30 bottom bracket that came with the FSA Gossamer crank and I would like to upgrade it to another BB30 crank. I placed an order for a SRAM Red Exogram 50/34 but after some reading, I've found out that the crank was for a 10 speed drivetrain? My bike is an 11 speed with the following components:

FD: Shimano 105
RD: Shimano Ultegra 6800
Cassette: Shimano 105
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800

I know that SRAM has the Red 22 crank that was designed for their newer 11 speed drivetrain, however this is my question:

Will the older SRAM Red Exogram crank be compatible with my 11 speed setup? Or would I have been better off with the Red 22?

I've read that the crank design between the two are nearly identical with slight differences in the chainrings, however they have the same gaps between the two rings? I am a bit confused and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Simon

Ritxis

by Ritxis

No problem, I use the Red ct2 chainring with Di2, with the Sram 10 chainrings also without problems
Attachments
100_2335.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notquiterite

by notquiterite

Ritxis wrote:No problem, I use the Red ct2 chainring with Di2, with the Sram 10 chainrings also without problems

Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply. I was worried I might have to return it and get the Red 22. Your bike looks great btw!

Ritxis

by Ritxis

:thumbup:

theremery

by theremery

Likewise....I'm on DA 9000 but using a sram red 10 speed (set in a quarq) crank.....works fine :) I can't tell the difference between the 11 speed one and the 10 speed one shift wise (yep, I have 2 ). You'll be fine :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

notquiterite

by notquiterite

theremery wrote:Likewise....I'm on DA 9000 but using a sram red 10 speed (set in a quarq) crank.....works fine :) I can't tell the difference between the 11 speed one and the 10 speed one shift wise (yep, I have 2 ). You'll be fine :)

Awesome :D thanks for confirming. It will be arriving today, can't wait to put it on the bike :beerchug:

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

No prob! Red works with your setting.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components