Lightest mainstream aluminum frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I have asked this question (more or less) on another forum, but just realized you guys would be the best resource. What are the lightest aluminum road frames with enough comfort for general purpose riding? It's okay if the geometry is tuned for criterium riding like the CAAD 12, as long as the comfort doesn't suffer. Do you know the weights? Does anything beat the CAAD 12? I suppose my main interest is in major brands, but I wouldn't dismiss an Asian no-name frame. Custom is likely outside my area of interest, but I wouldn't mind hearing about a particularly light offering.
Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Why not also add titanium or titanium/carbon frames to the selection? But good frames tend to cost kidneys so not sure if cost is an issue.

I have a CAAD10, love it for travelling and done my most extreme rides on it. It's comfortable for me!

naambezet

by naambezet

Emonda ALR? It's H2 position is pretty comfy..

Jcgill

by Jcgill

I second the Caad 10 recommendation. The new caad 12 looks promising as well.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

superdx wrote:Why not also add titanium or titanium/carbon frames to the selection? But good frames tend to cost kidneys so not sure if cost is an issue.

I have a CAAD10, love it for travelling and done my most extreme rides on it. It's comfortable for me!

Perfectly valid proposal but I already have Ti and CF frames. Also steel. Wondering about a lightweight 4th material.
Robert

Mackers

by Mackers

Easy.

Giant TCR SLR

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

+1

Anodised Giant TCR is stunning, simple, light, stiff and cheap. Not particularly comfortable, but a great frame.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

+2 I scored a tcr slr frame off eBay for like $250 a year ago. Absolutely fantastic frame with great handling and pedaling stiffness. Could use a lighter fork and the propriety seatpost isn't light either, but the heart of it is 5*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Yes - do change fork for an all carbon. Easton SLX works well with the TCR.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Any idea what the Giant TCR SLR actually weighs, frame only. Giant tends to fudge the numbers downward a bit, I find. If it has an ISP, I would want to know what the seat mast topper weighs too. Just asking in case anyone knows. Size M preferably.
Robert

russianbear

by russianbear

Emonda ALR.

mimason

by mimason

The Giant is a really good super stiff bike but it beats the shit out of you in comparison to what the newer aluminum from Caad12 and Emonda can deliver. You can, however, get a steal deal on the Giant alu.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Fwiw I'm about 180cm, 75kg and never found the Giant harsh. I do ride tubs almost all the time though so that contributes to ride quality a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackers

by Mackers

Same here.

I took a CAAD12 out for a spin a couple of times this past week, to see if I liked disc brakes and I didn't think it was any more comfortable than my TCR SL or my Canyon F8.

I think Giant is way ahead of the rest when it comes to aluminum anyway, and can't wait to get my hands on the Propel SLR.

Sarz91

by Sarz91

If its aluminium you're looking for have a look at the Kinesis Aithein frame. Pretty damn light for aluminium but it does have a rider weight limit on it.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com