Worn through brake track on Cosmic Carbone Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Just wondering how long other people's CCUs have lasted. Riding around here is very hard on brakes as the descents are very steep and twisty. The rear wheel has only gone through one set of pads, but the front brake track has worn all the way through to the fibers in 7,000km.

How does this compare?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

What brake pads?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Marin

by Marin

Where are you based?

Is it a problem to brake on the fibers? They should last longer than the resin.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

photos?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Based in Hong Kong. I've been using Mavic pads (re-branded swiss-stop). There's no problem braking now, except it eats through brake pads as the surface is now very rough.

I don't have pics (I'm away with work at the moment). Basically it's no longer shiny, it's dull and has a rough texture. If you run a finger nail over it the nail will occasionally catch.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Um...I think there is one manufacturer now who takes the resin off the track to do exactly what you have on your front rim now. Get rid of the resin so the carbon that is rough is exposed to provide better braking. Shouldn't be a problem, except for brake pads. But maybe Mavic has a different opinion on this?

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Which manufacturer is that? And which pads do they recommend? I noticed it after a set of pads lasted about 300km.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

pletharoe wrote:Which manufacturer is that?

Believe it to be Xentis...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Almost...

Xentis wheels are best known for their patented XBP carbon-braking surface. Their proprietary process allowed them to remove close to 80% of the resin found on the carbon surface, so the rougher surface beneath them can be exposed to generate sufficient friction for effective braking. It is so effective that normal brake pads can be used on Xentis wheels. In addition, the braking surface is so strong that even scratching them with metal spokes does not leave a dent.

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Campagnolo machines their brake tracks, HED does/did it to atleast some of their wheels and I think at one point enve did as well.

Delorre

by Delorre

Do your CCU looks like this? On my front rim, there is 'some' remaining of the (supposed to be) basalt coating, but most of the brake track is now nude, somewhat rough carbon. 2 rides in the rain (130 miles in total) to go from nearly new looking to this! Used brake pads, always kept clean, are Black Prince. As the basalt layer is supposed to be there for heat resistance purposes, is this a waranty case, or normal wear? Wheels have only been used for around 2 months :?

Rest of the front rim, and the complete rear one, now looks like this:

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Yes, something like that, but I can't really tell as the pics are very small.

If they're within warranty then I would say you have a claim, but I don't think the black prince pads are on mavic's approved list which could be a show stopper.

Delorre

by Delorre

pletharoe wrote:Yes, something like that, but I can't really tell as the pics are very small.

If they're within warranty then I would say you have a claim, but I don't think the black prince pads are on mavic's approved list which could be a show stopper.

Small? They fill my laptop screen almost completely :shock: Btw, those are no CCU's, but Stealth Wheels, compatible with Black Princes. Accordng to the wheel builder, I don't have to worry. If I want, I can bring them in for a replace, but I'm sure that after a couple of rain rides, they will look the same. We will see how it turns out within let's say 6 months...

pletharoe

by pletharoe

It didin't take long for mine to look used. But now the texture is very different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Maybe brake pads were not compatible.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT