Cable rattle...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

I'm having issues with my gear cables rattling against the downtube. They've always done it to some extent on my bikes, however now I ride aluminium, it is much more apparent. I had the same issue with my rear brake, but donuts helped.

Is this down to incorrect cable tension, and fixable with a service? The bike shifts flawlessly so I'm thinking no...

I'd rather not use donuts if I can avoid it as they tend to slip on gear cables (the diameter is too small). I run my routing criss-crossed and am not sure straight routing would work with my frame (it's ugly, basically).

Any suggestions?

mattr

by mattr

Crossed routing moves the cable closer to the frame (Given fairly "standard" cable routing)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Run some Nokon cable liner down the entire exposed cable. This will stop the rattle.

Rob1519

by Rob1519

Do the cables rattle regardless of gear selection? If no, could be a tension issue. As a last resort, you could apply "helicopter" tape to the problem area to reduce/eliminate the noise. 3M makes this material to protect the front end of vehicles from road debris damage.

Devon

by Devon

It seems to do it at random. It can be quiet all ride and then suddenly start, and I've noticed no difference in different gears thus far. It has been getting steadily worse as I've ridden the bike over the past 3 months, so I'll give it a service regardless and see if it improves.

Heli tape would definitely be a last resort - I'm hoping to solve it mechanically if possible.

xena
Banned

by xena

There must be a gap/space somewhere along route where the cable is moving/touching /rattles.
You could try just wrapping a bit of tape at certain points and see if the rattle stops. Then you will know where the issue is.
Have you wiggled the cable while stationary. It should rattle and you could trace the noise.
You should try this in your slackest gear.

You could also if possible shorten your outer housing. This may help. I see far to many bikes with excessive outer housing. Keep it to a minimum.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Agree with the liner recommendation to avoid metal to metal contact.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Some of the above and perhaps a downtube protector. BBB makes one that is clear with a nice rubbery feel. You can cut it to size as needed and it certainly damps noise from stones while protecting too, so it would probably work with the cable situation.

lannes

by lannes

Another option is clear heat shrink tubing, just buy 1mm larger than cable diameter beign used

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5pcs-1M-3Fee ... SwyQtVp2yb

Devon

by Devon

xena wrote:You could also if possible shorten your outer housing. This may help. I see far to many bikes with excessive outer housing. Keep it to a minimum.

I was interested in this point so examined the bike this morning. Both gear outers are slightly too long - I then realised I cut the cables with a longer stem on the bike, before I dialled in my fit. This probably has something to do with it! :thumbup:

I'll give it a full service this week and adjust the outers and see how it is then, and maybe try one of the other solutions if the issue persists.

Thanks for the advice.

xena
Banned

by xena

Brilliant ,I'm sure that will sort it :thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

thp

by thp

They make donuts that don't slip on shifter cable. Cable liners can slightly ping on shifter cables. Crossing cables helps a whole lot, with teflon tubing where they cross.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

I think if anything the crossing may have made it worse, as they are closer to the downtube. That said, the routing is much better so I wouldn't run them parallel. Donuts are pretty ugly so I'll use them as a last resort.